From: Ross on
Greetings.

We have a server upon which no scheduled task will run. All of them
fail to start. I looked in the event log, there was no information
there. There is also no task scheduler log in the Windows directory.
When I try to edit the task, I get the following error:

General page initialization failed.
The specific error is:
0x80004005 Unspecified Error
An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task account
information. You may continue editing the task object, but will be
unable to change task account information.

I know there is a very similar error that has to do with shadow copy:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822904

I know the error is slightly different, but just for kicks, I tried
the fix listed there. It didn't correct the problem.

The RPC and Schedule services are running. I've checked out the
system user permissions that the Schedule service runs under, they
look okay. The user which the tasks run under is an administrator,
those permissions also look okay. I've tried scheduling new tasks
under different administrators, and I get the same message. I went as
far as removing the tasks and trying to re-add them, still to no
avail.

I've seen that error code before (0x80004005), but it has typically
been in a COM component calling context. Usually, that means one of
your COM components is unregistered or the registration has become
corrupt. I don't think I've seen this kind of error in a Windows
component context until today. Is it possible that a dependency of
Schedule has somehow become corrupt? If so, any ideas as to what
component would affect Schedule and little else? (To my knowledge,
Schedule is the only problem with this server.)

Has any one out there seen this before or have any ideas on what to
try next?

-Ross
From: Ross on
I need to get some coffee. I forgot to mention: This is a Windows
Server 2003 box.

If you need more information about the box, let me know.

-Ross

From: Swifty on
Ross wrote:
> I know the error is slightly different, but just for kicks, I tried
> the fix listed there. It didn't correct the problem.

Since you're in the market for fixes which might fix the problem, I've
had tasks refusing to start with no reason given (Win XP).

Most of my tasks are set to "Run only if logged on". By removing this
(which gets me to a password prompt), applying, then turning "Run
only..." back on again, the task started working again. It works the
other way around as well.

If it is safe to do so, using right-click then "Run" on each task proved
whether or not it could run, then shows whether or not it *will* run
after you've tried my trick.

Don't ask how I found this; it just seemed worth trying, and it worked
for me.

My problem (that causes this scheduled tasks problem) is some XP buffer
(which is supposed never to run out of space) is running out of space
since I updated something a couple of months ago.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: Jose on
On Nov 13, 8:59 am, Ross <rosshink...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> We have a server upon which no scheduled task will run.  All of them
> fail to start.  I looked in the event log, there was no information
> there.  There is also no task scheduler log in the Windows directory.
> When I try to edit the task, I get the following error:
>
> General page initialization failed.
> The specific error is:
> 0x80004005 Unspecified Error
> An error has occurred attempting to retrieve task account
> information.  You may continue editing the task object, but will be
> unable to change task account information.
>
> I know there is a very similar error that has to do with shadow copy:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822904
>
> I know the error is slightly different, but just for kicks, I tried
> the fix listed there.  It didn't correct the problem.
>
> The RPC and Schedule services are running.  I've checked out the
> system user permissions that the Schedule service runs under, they
> look okay.  The user which the tasks run under is an administrator,
> those permissions also look okay.  I've tried scheduling new tasks
> under different administrators, and I get the same message.  I went as
> far as removing the tasks and trying to re-add them, still to no
> avail.
>
> I've seen that error code before (0x80004005), but it has typically
> been in a COM component calling context.  Usually, that means one of
> your COM components is unregistered or the registration has become
> corrupt.  I don't think I've seen this kind of error in a Windows
> component context until today.  Is it possible that a dependency of
> Schedule has somehow become corrupt?  If so, any ideas as to what
> component would affect Schedule and little else?  (To my knowledge,
> Schedule is the only problem with this server.)
>
> Has any one out there seen this before or have any ideas on what to
> try next?
>
> -Ross

I am not sure about Windows Server (that would be a different forum)
but I am sure about Windows XP.

Are you saying that the Task Scheduler service is running and the log
file SchedLgU.txt does not exist in the Windows folder even if the
service is stopped/started manually?

You are unlikely to find useful information about afflicted STs in the
Event Viewer. The useful information will be in the log file.
From: Jose on
On Nov 13, 9:18 am, Swifty <Steve.J.Sw...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Ross wrote:
> > I know the error is slightly different, but just for kicks, I tried
> > the fix listed there.  It didn't correct the problem.
>
> Since you're in the market for fixes which might fix the problem, I've
> had tasks refusing to start with no reason given (Win XP).
>
> Most of my tasks are set to "Run only if logged on". By removing this
> (which gets me to a password prompt), applying, then turning "Run
> only..." back on again, the task started working again. It works the
> other way around as well.
>
> If it is safe to do so, using right-click then "Run" on each task proved
> whether or not it could run, then shows whether or not it *will* run
> after you've tried my trick.
>
> Don't ask how I found this; it just seemed worth trying, and it worked
> for me.
>
> My problem (that causes this scheduled tasks problem) is some XP buffer
> (which is supposed never to run out of space) is running out of space
> since I updated something a couple of months ago.
>
> --
> Steve Swifthttp://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.htmlhttp://www.ringers.org.uk

If a ST will not run, there is always a reason given and the given
reason is in the log file which on most systems is:

c:\Windows\SchedLgU.Txt

What does it say about your afflicted STs?

If the log is too cluttered, stop the TS service, rename/delete the
log, restart the service, invoke your task, check the log and post
relevant messages that need clarification or resolution.