From: dukiesma1001 on
I wanted 2 no if anyone can tell me how to install the SP2 Service Pk onto my
computer, unfortunately, I don't have internet access. I downloaded the SP2
S.P. & 'Save' it 2 another cpu in my house that DOES have internet access. I
intend to burn the program onto a CD & try 2 install the S.P. on mine using
that. I DO have a genuine version of WinXP Home Ed. on my cpu, but it's been
@ least 5 yrs since I last had it hooked up to the internet. Needless to
say, I haven't added any Windows Updates since then either. I would really
like 2 get my system up-2-date so I can ready when I'm able 2 finally get my
service hooked up again. I greatly appreciate any time and effort anyone
applies 2 helping me solve this BIG problem. And Thank You!!!
From: Falcon on

dukiesma1001 wrote:

> I wanted 2 no if anyone can tell me how to install the SP2 Service Pk
> onto my computer, unfortunately, I don't have internet access. I
> downloaded the SP2 S.P. & 'Save' it 2 another cpu in my house that DOES
> have internet access. I intend to burn the program onto a CD & try 2
> install the S.P. on mine using that. I DO have a genuine version of
> WinXP Home Ed. on my cpu, but it's been @ least 5 yrs since I last had it
> hooked up to the internet. Needless to say, I haven't added any Windows
> Updates since then either. I would really like 2 get my system up-2-date
> so I can ready when I'm able 2 finally get my service hooked up again. I
> greatly appreciate any time and effort anyone applies 2 helping me solve
> this BIG problem. And Thank You!!!

Frankly, I wouldn't bother. I recently did a clean install starting with a
XP Home SP1 disk and it took less than 2 hours to bring it up to date with
SP3, IE8 and all the trimmings. Wait until you connect your computer to the
internet, go to Windows Update, and download every available updates in one
session. In fact if you can afford the time, back up all your data and do a
clean install of XP Home before you go online.

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

From: peter on
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displaylang=en

the above website has an .iso file of SP3 which includes SP2
download....copy to CD and boot your machine from it.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Falcon on

Falcon wrote:

> dukiesma1001 wrote:
>
>> I wanted 2 no if anyone can tell me how to install the SP2 Service Pk
>> onto my computer, unfortunately, I don't have internet access. I
>> downloaded the SP2 S.P. & 'Save' it 2 another cpu in my house that DOES
>> have internet access. I intend to burn the program onto a CD & try 2
>> install the S.P. on mine using that. I DO have a genuine version of
>> WinXP Home Ed. on my cpu, but it's been @ least 5 yrs since I last had it
>> hooked up to the internet. Needless to say, I haven't added any Windows
>> Updates since then either. I would really like 2 get my system up-2-date
>> so I can ready when I'm able 2 finally get my service hooked up again. I
>> greatly appreciate any time and effort anyone applies 2 helping me solve
>> this BIG problem. And Thank You!!!
>
> Frankly, I wouldn't bother. I recently did a clean install starting with
> a XP Home SP1 disk and it took less than 2 hours to bring it up to date
> with SP3, IE8 and all the trimmings. Wait until you connect your computer
> to the internet, go to Windows Update, and download every available
> update in one session. [...]

Sorry that's not very clear. A single 'session' of updates isn't enough, but
four or five visits to Windows Update, one after the other, achieves the
desired state in a couple of hours or so.

Something called 'slipstreaming' your XP Home CD and the SP2 service pack is
possible, but to be honest in your position, I wouldn't bother with that.

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

From: Daave on
dukiesma1001 wrote:
> I wanted 2 no if anyone can tell me how to install the SP2 Service Pk
> onto my computer, unfortunately, I don't have internet access. I
> downloaded the SP2 S.P. & 'Save' it 2 another cpu in my house that
> DOES have internet access. I intend to burn the program onto a CD &
> try 2 install the S.P. on mine using that. I DO have a genuine
> version of WinXP Home Ed. on my cpu, but it's been @ least 5 yrs
> since I last had it hooked up to the internet. Needless to say, I
> haven't added any Windows Updates since then either. I would really
> like 2 get my system up-2-date so I can ready when I'm able 2 finally
> get my service hooked up again. I greatly appreciate any time and
> effort anyone applies 2 helping me solve this BIG problem. And Thank
> You!!!

What Service Pack level are you at currently? To find out:

Start | Run | winver | OK

If you are running "Gold" (that is, *no* Service Pack installed),
installing SP2 makes sense (but you should eventually upgrade to SP3
since extended support -- read: Security Updates -- for SP2 ends this
coming year). However, if you have SP1, installing SP3 makes more sense.
Let us know your SP level, and we will provide appropriate advice.

Also, do you have access to another PC that is hopefully connected via
broadband and has the ability to burn CDs?

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: system restore fails periodically
Next: Schtasks error