From: Broooz on
Please do you know why system restore would fail periodically. I cannot
tell how often it happens because I don't use SR very often. But every time
I decide it would be easier to use it than trying other methods, I get a
message saying SR unable to restore to the selected point, try another.
Others don't seem to work either later or earlier.

I am using XP SP3, I virus check regularly. I have checked in event viewer
for any relevant errors but cant find any. However I suppose any relevant
error might be at the time the restore point became corrupted (if that is
the problem) and I cant see that far back.

I have since deleted all the restore points and tested SR now and it all
works but I think that the next time I need it, I wont be able to use it
again. This has happened before.

Thanks

From: db on
well, in my opinion it seems that
you are having troubles other than
system restore.

have you tried to analyze system
performance in safe mode?

you can also do a sr in safe mode
as well, that is if you have any
restore points.

sometimes the system restore
calendar is not up to date and

sometimes the antivirus may
prevent system restore point to
be initiated since the a.v.'s are
protecting the system from
modifications.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Broooz on
"db" <databaseben(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> well, in my opinion it seems that
> you are having troubles other than
> system restore.
>
> have you tried to analyze system
> performance in safe mode?
>
> you can also do a sr in safe mode
> as well, that is if you have any
> restore points.
>
> sometimes the system restore
> calendar is not up to date and
>
> sometimes the antivirus may
> prevent system restore point to
> be initiated since the a.v.'s are
> protecting the system from
> modifications.

Thanks DatabaseBen

What other problems are you thinking of? The last time I tried to use SR
was when I inadvertently upgraded a video driver on windows update and could
no longer get the required resolution. I couldn't remember how I had solved
it before so I thought SR was the easiest option but it didn't work.

I hadn't thought about my virus checker stopping it - I am using ESet - but
if it is that, it is not doing it consistently. However if I need to use SR
again, I will try your suggestion of safe mode.

Thanks

From: SC Tom on

> "db" <databaseben(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> well, in my opinion it seems that
>> you are having troubles other than
>> system restore.
>>
>> have you tried to analyze system
>> performance in safe mode?
>>
>> you can also do a sr in safe mode
>> as well, that is if you have any
>> restore points.
>>
>> sometimes the system restore
>> calendar is not up to date and
>>
>> sometimes the antivirus may
>> prevent system restore point to
>> be initiated since the a.v.'s are
>> protecting the system from
>> modifications.
>>
> Thanks DatabaseBen
>
> What other problems are you thinking of? The last time I tried to use SR
> was when I inadvertently upgraded a video driver on windows update and
> could no longer get the required resolution. I couldn't remember how I
> had solved it before so I thought SR was the easiest option but it didn't
> work.
>
> I hadn't thought about my virus checker stopping it - I am using ESet -
> but if it is that, it is not doing it consistently. However if I need to
> use SR again, I will try your suggestion of safe mode.
>
> Thanks

One of the biggest offenders that I've seen in preventing SR from working is
a 3rd party firewall such as ZoneAlarm or Symantec. I run ZASS myself which
includes the firewall and antivirus/antimalware. Since having problems
having SR complete successfully while running ZASS, I found the easiest way
for me is to boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Once there, type in
c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. The SR GUI will come
up, allowing you to pick the date you want to restore back to. I am yet to
have it fail doing it this way. Restore points can't be created from here,
but that's not what I'm trying to do anyhow.

HTH,
SC Tom

From: Jim on
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:48:27 -0000, "Broooz" <Broooz(a)nospamplease.com>
wrote:

>Please do you know why system restore would fail periodically. I cannot
>tell how often it happens because I don't use SR very often. But every time
>I decide it would be easier to use it than trying other methods, I get a
>message saying SR unable to restore to the selected point, try another.
>Others don't seem to work either later or earlier.
>
>I am using XP SP3, I virus check regularly. I have checked in event viewer
>for any relevant errors but cant find any. However I suppose any relevant
>error might be at the time the restore point became corrupted (if that is
>the problem) and I cant see that far back.
>
>I have since deleted all the restore points and tested SR now and it all
>works but I think that the next time I need it, I wont be able to use it
>again. This has happened before.
>
>Thanks

Not to start a flame war : I use ERUNT system which does a restore
point every day .