From: SC Tom on

"Jim" <bojimbo261(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:48:27 -0000, "Broooz" <Broooz(a)nospamplease.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Please do you know why system restore would fail periodically. I cannot
>>tell how often it happens because I don't use SR very often. But every
>>time
>>I decide it would be easier to use it than trying other methods, I get a
>>message saying SR unable to restore to the selected point, try another.
>>Others don't seem to work either later or earlier.
>>
>>I am using XP SP3, I virus check regularly. I have checked in event
>>viewer
>>for any relevant errors but cant find any. However I suppose any relevant
>>error might be at the time the restore point became corrupted (if that is
>>the problem) and I cant see that far back.
>>
>>I have since deleted all the restore points and tested SR now and it all
>>works but I think that the next time I need it, I wont be able to use it
>>again. This has happened before.
>>
>>Thanks
>
> Not to start a flame war : I use ERUNT system which does a restore
> point every day .

I do too, but ERUNT is just a registry backup. It will not revert system
files back to what they were 3 or 4 days ago like SR does. I may be overly
cautious, but I use ERUNT, SR, and make an image of my HDD regularly.
Hopefully, I'll be able to recover from just about anything that way. I know
the imaging has saved my butt on 2 different machines when the HDD's
crashed. (One gave me warnings for a while that I stupidly ignored; the
other crashed with no warning 15 minutes after booting up one morning.)

SC Tom

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:48:20 +0000, Jim <bojimbo261(a)aol.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:48:27 -0000, "Broooz" <Broooz(a)nospamplease.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Please do you know why system restore would fail periodically. I cannot
> >tell how often it happens because I don't use SR very often. But every time
> >I decide it would be easier to use it than trying other methods, I get a
> >message saying SR unable to restore to the selected point, try another.
> >Others don't seem to work either later or earlier.
> >
> >I am using XP SP3, I virus check regularly. I have checked in event viewer
> >for any relevant errors but cant find any. However I suppose any relevant
> >error might be at the time the restore point became corrupted (if that is
> >the problem) and I cant see that far back.
> >
> >I have since deleted all the restore points and tested SR now and it all
> >works but I think that the next time I need it, I wont be able to use it
> >again. This has happened before.
> >
> >Thanks
>
> Not to start a flame war : I use ERUNT system which does a restore
> point every day .

No flames from me either, but I'd like to make three points:

1. Erunt is a very good program. I use it too, and also make a
registry backup with it every day.

2. Note that in the sentence above, I said "registry backup," not
"restore point." Erunt simply backs up the registry and that's
similar, but considerably less than what System Restore does. A
Restore Point is more than just a registry backup.

3. I highly recommend doing both.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Bill in Co. on
SC Tom wrote:
> "Jim" <bojimbo261(a)aol.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:48:27 -0000, "Broooz" <Broooz(a)nospamplease.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Please do you know why system restore would fail periodically. I cannot
>>> tell how often it happens because I don't use SR very often. But every
>>> time
>>> I decide it would be easier to use it than trying other methods, I get a
>>> message saying SR unable to restore to the selected point, try another.
>>> Others don't seem to work either later or earlier.
>>>
>>> I am using XP SP3, I virus check regularly. I have checked in event
>>> viewer
>>> for any relevant errors but cant find any. However I suppose any
>>> relevant
>>> error might be at the time the restore point became corrupted (if that
>>> is
>>> the problem) and I cant see that far back.
>>>
>>> I have since deleted all the restore points and tested SR now and it all
>>> works but I think that the next time I need it, I wont be able to use it
>>> again. This has happened before.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Not to start a flame war : I use ERUNT system which does a restore
>> point every day .
>
> I do too, but ERUNT is just a registry backup. It will not revert system
> files back to what they were 3 or 4 days ago like SR does. I may be overly
> cautious, but I use ERUNT, SR, and make an image of my HDD regularly.
> Hopefully, I'll be able to recover from just about anything that way. I
> know
> the imaging has saved my butt on 2 different machines when the HDD's
> crashed. (One gave me warnings for a while that I stupidly ignored; the
> other crashed with no warning 15 minutes after booting up one morning.)
>
> SC Tom

Agreed, having all three backup tools works out the best depending on the
situation. :-)

Just out of curiosity, how old were the drives, and what were the warnings
you got before it died?

And for the one that died afer 15 minutes, did you possibly try out putting
it in the refrig (that some say may work to temporarily resurrect it), or
wasn't it even worth bothering with, since you had a backup anyways?

From: Bill in Co. on
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:48:20 +0000, Jim <bojimbo261(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:48:27 -0000, "Broooz" <Broooz(a)nospamplease.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Please do you know why system restore would fail periodically. I cannot
>>> tell how often it happens because I don't use SR very often. But every
>>> time
>>> I decide it would be easier to use it than trying other methods, I get a
>>> message saying SR unable to restore to the selected point, try another.
>>> Others don't seem to work either later or earlier.
>>>
>>> I am using XP SP3, I virus check regularly. I have checked in event
>>> viewer
>>> for any relevant errors but cant find any. However I suppose any
>>> relevant
>>> error might be at the time the restore point became corrupted (if that
>>> is
>>> the problem) and I cant see that far back.
>>>
>>> I have since deleted all the restore points and tested SR now and it all
>>> works but I think that the next time I need it, I wont be able to use it
>>> again. This has happened before.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Not to start a flame war : I use ERUNT system which does a restore
>> point every day .
>

> No flames from me either, but I'd like to make three points:
>
> 1. Erunt is a very good program. I use it too, and also make a
> registry backup with it every day.

And I might add it nicely does it automatically (or manually, when you
want). With the automatic option on, the default is a new one each day, for
5 days worth. This is similar in behavior to Win98 and its scanreg, where
you could use scanreg /restore to restore one of the 5 automatic daily
registry backups, if needed. Can be handy to have those, on occasion.

> 2. Note that in the sentence above, I said "registry backup," not
> "restore point." Erunt simply backs up the registry and that's
> similar, but considerably less than what System Restore does. A
> Restore Point is more than just a registry backup.
>
> 3. I highly recommend doing both.

Or best is have all three (add to these two an image backup of your system).
Each tool has its place, depending on the situation. :-)

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:20:21 -0700, "Bill in Co."
<not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:48:20 +0000, Jim <bojimbo261(a)aol.com> wrote:

> >> Not to start a flame war : I use ERUNT system which does a restore
> >> point every day .
> >

> > No flames from me either, but I'd like to make three points:
> >
> > 1. Erunt is a very good program. I use it too, and also make a
> > registry backup with it every day.
>
> And I might add it nicely does it automatically (or manually, when you
> want). With the automatic option on, the default is a new one each day, for
> 5 days worth. This is similar in behavior to Win98 and its scanreg, where
> you could use scanreg /restore to restore one of the 5 automatic daily
> registry backups, if needed. Can be handy to have those, on occasion.
>
> > 2. Note that in the sentence above, I said "registry backup," not
> > "restore point." Erunt simply backs up the registry and that's
> > similar, but considerably less than what System Restore does. A
> > Restore Point is more than just a registry backup.
> >
> > 3. I highly recommend doing both.
>
> Or best is have all three (add to these two an image backup of your system).
> Each tool has its place, depending on the situation. :-)

I certainly agree that everyone should back up, whether image or any
other kind, but to me, that's not number 3, but another subject
entirely.

On the other hand, I certainly don't object to your adding the point.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: sql update errors
Next: Need SP2 Installation Instructions