From: Mayayana on

| > Well, on the bright side, at least contrex can't
| > accuse you of having a grandmother who wears
| > army boots. :)
|
| Well, probably boots of some kind. Farmers you know.

That may be a somewhat local reference
that I shouldn't expect others to get. The
expression represents an absurd level of
namecalling on the part of simpletons:
"Oh yeah, well your grandmother wears army
boots." I don't know where it comes from.
Probably something like Rowan and Martin's
Laugh-In.

From: mbyerley on

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message

> | > Well, on the bright side, at least contrex can't
> | > accuse you of having a grandmother who wears
> | > army boots. :)
> |
> | Well, probably boots of some kind. Farmers you know.
> |

> That may be a somewhat local reference
> that I shouldn't expect others to get. The
> expression represents an absurd level of
> namecalling on the part of simpletons:
> "Oh yeah, well your grandmother wears army
> boots." I don't know where it comes from.
> Probably something like Rowan and Martin's
> Laugh-In.

I don't know about R & M being the origin as I'm pretty sure it predates
them.
It is a saying from my childhood, which you could deduce easy enough, was a
while back. :)

But my recollection was "Your Mother wears combat boots".

From: Mayayana on
| I don't know about R & M being the origin as I'm pretty sure it predates
| them.
| It is a saying from my childhood, which you could deduce easy enough, was
| while back. :)
|
| But my recollection was "Your Mother wears combat boots".

That makes sense. If you're *that* old then it was
probably your mother but my grandmother. :)

That's an interesting example of how a thing can keep
coming back in cycles, with each generation assuming
it originated with them. Like so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogie_Woogie_Bugle_Boy#Later_versions_of_the_song

From: contrex on
On 4 Oct, 15:28, "Mayayana" <mayay...(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:

[snipped]

What a bunch of offtopic trash. You dweebs. I have sent my script
direct to Gadgetman and killfiled you two idiot trolls.
From: ralph on
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 10:13:46 -0700 (PDT), contrex
<mike.j.harvey(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4 Oct, 15:28, "Mayayana" <mayay...(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>[snipped]
>
>What a bunch of offtopic trash. You dweebs. I have sent my script
>direct to Gadgetman and killfiled you two idiot trolls.

Please add me to your kill file.

-ralph
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4