From: Todd Vargo on
mbyerley wrote:
> "contrex" <mike.j.harvey(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 1 Oct, 02:57, "Mayayana" <mayay...(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:
>>
>>> People don't just hang around here waiting for a chance to do
>>> other peoples' work for free.
>>
>> Ignore the top posting unhelpful troll. I had 20 minutes to spare so I
>> knocked out this little example
>
> I guessed you missed the part of the OP saying "We have a requirement"
> which implies something beyond an individual needing assistance and more
> likely the company or orgainzation the OP is a part. That the OP asked
> for assistance is inaccurate, lacking the foundation the OP had already
> made an unsuccessful attempt on his own, you (and the rest of the planet)
> could conclude the OP wanted someone to do the work for him ( or the
> organization that employs him, how is that helpful?).
>
> So Mayayana's response was maybe curt, but exactly right and your
> comments to the contrary would be dismissed out of hand by most vampire
> hunters/haters.
>
> http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/

This site exactly pin points a number of the requesters. URl squirreled away
for future use.

Very good response. The question sounded like elementary homework which
several of us have seen many times over.

--
Todd Vargo

(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

From: mbyerley on

"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
> mbyerley wrote:
>> "contrex" <mike.j.harvey(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Ignore the top posting unhelpful troll. I had 20 minutes to spare so I
>>> knocked out this little example
>>
>> I guessed you missed the part of the OP saying "We have a requirement"
>> which implies something beyond an individual needing assistance and more
>> likely the company or orgainzation the OP is a part. That the OP asked
>> for assistance is inaccurate, lacking the foundation the OP had already
>> made an unsuccessful attempt on his own, you (and the rest of the planet)
>> could conclude the OP wanted someone to do the work for him ( or the
>> organization that employs him, how is that helpful?).
>>
>> So Mayayana's response was maybe curt, but exactly right and your
>> comments to the contrary would be dismissed out of hand by most vampire
>> hunters/haters.
>>
>> http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/
>
> This site exactly pin points a number of the requesters. URl squirreled
> away for future use.
>
> Very good response. The question sounded like elementary homework which
> several of us have seen many times over.

In the couple Delphi groups I lurk there is superb help when needed, but if
you tendered a post like the OP, you would be shown the door.

Most of these groups have talented and helpful people that are willing to
put a shoulder to it when it appears the other guy is bearing some of the
load too.

It's really hard to come up against something you just can't find anything
about out in the wild.

From: Reventlov on
Il giorno Sun, 3 Oct 2010 01:35:25 -0700 (PDT), contrex <mike.j.harvey(a)gmail.com> ha
scritto:
>On 1 Oct, 02:57, "Mayayana" <mayay...(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> People don't just hang around here waiting for a chance to do
>> other peoples' work for free.
>
>Ignore the top posting unhelpful troll. I had 20 minutes to spare so I
>knocked out this little example

I agree with Mayayana (who is absolutely not a troll) and mbyerley.
It's a good thing that you have the spare time to write the scripts for those who ask for
that.
Soon you will realize that in this ng many people just want someone else to solve their
problems, do not have any idea of vbscript and do not want to learn it. When you will run
out of time you will answer like Mayayana often does: "let's see what you have done so far
and where you are stuck".
Your script is very interesting. I don'know much about the dictionary object. I would have
done it with an array in a more complex manner, reinventing the wheel.
G.

--
Giovanni Cenati (Bergamo, Italy)
Write to "Reventlov" at katamail com
From: Gadgetman on
I was actually just looking for a starting point - as to the best possible
way to perform the task required. Thanks to all who put me on the right
path, which I had started down with the post from here
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript&tid=6bcfe32c-434a-4aaf-b1d9-2997e64a5ed5&cat=en_US_8e0bf598-2567-4b0b-8241-d4942bda87dc&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
which I found over the weekend after I had posted.
It was not my intention to have someone write the script for me, but thanks
to those who have provided this as well.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Calling a C++ dll
Next: users import