Prev: reg frag
Next: ntfs security
From: Kardon Coup� on
Dear All,

I've got a friend of mind has asked me why his Search function from Right
Click and from Start Menu has stopped working, if he navigates to a folder
and clicks search from the top bar, he's able to search, but not from any
other way. I had a little search around (via google) and any results I'd
turned up, like Kellys corner, etc, none of those registry fixes seem to
work..

I'm a tad confused why only part of the search function is disabled.

Can anybody help
Regards
Paul.

From: Twayne on
In news:%236cW6lfzKHA.5036(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Kardon Coupi <prefer.to(a)readon.newsgroups> typed:
> Dear All,
>
> I've got a friend of mind has asked me why his Search
> function from Right Click and from Start Menu has stopped
> working, if he navigates to a folder and clicks search from
> the top bar, he's able to search, but not from any other
> way. I had a little search around (via google) and any
> results I'd turned up, like Kellys corner, etc, none of
> those registry fixes seem to work..
> I'm a tad confused why only part of the search function is
> disabled.
> Can anybody help
> Regards
> Paul.

Well, the only information you provided, and that simply by
the group's name you chose to use, is likely to get you
nothing but guesses, if you get answers at all.
OS version? SP level? Update status? What is
missing/removed, specifically, from the context menu you get
with right-click? Any error messages, ever? What were they? Is
the missing object there and just grayed out, or is it
completely missing? What was that object's name? For Start
menu, what happens there? Any error messages? Repeat them
here. Is the choice there and grayed out or missing? Is it
clickable? What does happen when you click it? Do you mean a
context menu in the Start Menu?
When did it start to happen? What had you
installed/removed/changed just beore the problem started?
Describe the progression of the problem's appearance: sudden
or over time? And so on. YOU are the one who can get that
info; help other to help you by providing information to work
with.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Kardon Coup� on
Well, *according* to my friend, he didnt have a virus, yet, when I went to
address the issue of the search, the registry had been disabled too... so I
think he's telling me porky pies...

It is Windows Xp Sp3, the start menu/search (above run) in the start menu
doesn't respond, it isn't grey'd out or nothing, it is clickable, just
doesn't open the search box and if I right click on a folder for the context
menu, like New>Folder, or Open, there is a Search option, again, that
doesn't do nothing.

But if I open a windows explorer pane with Windows Key and E, the search
option at the top does give me the little dog and the options to search.

HTH

From: Twayne on
Whether it's a virus, trojan, worm or some other form of
malware, the little bit of info you gave here makes me think
the machine is infected. I have to assume "...registry had
been disabled..." means regedit or such doesn't work in the
same way other things don't work.

Using current, updated programs, I'd say at this point the
following should be done next:
-- Back up the boot drive and all data to an external drive or
DVDs.
-- Run chkdsk /f on all drive letters. If you want to "test
run" it, just leave off the /f flag: it will identify but not
fix anything. It's just a reporting mode.
-- AV scan - set to deep scan if provided, and not one of the
lesser scans.
-- Malware scans for spyware and other malwares.
-- Using at least, 3 (three) anti-spyware programs. All
current, and all updated before their use. If you'd like a
list of what most people use, ask here and I suspect you will
get about ten different ones that people use.

It's possible that the fixes for any of the above could (not
will) mess up the operating system, depending on what they
discover and repairs they make. That's where the backups come
into play; they can prevent having to reinstall the OS and all
the applications by hand.
In most cases it won't be needed; but it's a chance one
should not take.

It's possible that, to get everything back and working right
might require a rebuild of the disks again. Try the above and
let us know the outcomes before going further though.

HTH,

Twayne`

In news:eYRqwEgzKHA.3884(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,

From: Kardon Coup� on
Will do, i'm not seeing him for a couple of days, so I'll report back when
the full hit has been done...

> [...]
>>> nothing but guesses, if you get answers at all.
>>> OS version? SP level? Update status? What is
>>> missing/removed, specifically, from the context menu you
>>> get with right-click? Any error messages, ever? What were
>>> they? Is the missing object there and just grayed out, or
>>> is it completely missing? What was that object's name? For
>>> Start menu, what happens there? Any error messages? Repeat
>>> them here. Is the choice there and grayed out or missing?
>>> Is it clickable? What does happen when you click it? Do
>>> you mean a context menu in the Start Menu? When did it
>>> start to happen? What had you installed/removed/changed
>>> just beore the problem started? Describe the progression
>>> of the problem's appearance: sudden or over time? And so
>>> on. YOU are the one who can get that info; help other to
>>> help you by providing information to work with. HTH,

Pages: 1 2
Prev: reg frag
Next: ntfs security