From: Orkan on
Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to configure Ssh Privileged User for SunSSH on Solaris
10u8. I created sshd user:

/etc/passwd: sshd:x:74:74:Privilege-separated SSH:/var/empty:/sbin/
nologin
/etc/group: sshd::74:

Added lines to /etc/ssh/sshd_config

UseLogin yes
UsePrivilegeSeparation yes

and restarted ssh:

svcadm disable svc:/network/ssh:default
svcadm enable svc:/network/ssh:default

And I cannot login :)

my /var/adm/messages has these lines:

fatal: Userauth method unknown while starting PAM

Any ideas what I should change/add/fix ?
From: chuckers on
On Jul 19, 6:18 pm, Orkan <orkand...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I'm trying to configure Ssh Privileged User for SunSSH on Solaris
> 10u8. I created sshd user:
>
> /etc/passwd: sshd:x:74:74:Privilege-separated SSH:/var/empty:/sbin/
> nologin
> /etc/group: sshd::74:
>
> Added lines to /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> UseLogin yes
> UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
>
> and restarted ssh:
>
> svcadm disable svc:/network/ssh:default
> svcadm enable svc:/network/ssh:default
>
> And I cannot login :)
>
> my /var/adm/messages has these lines:
>
> fatal: Userauth method unknown while starting PAM
>
> Any ideas what I should change/add/fix ?

I believe you just need to remove the "UsePrivilegeSeperation yes"
line from
your config if you are going to use the ssh included with Solaris 10.

This is sort of a "bug" with Solaris 10 version of ssh. Solaris ssh
always
uses privilege separation and you can't turn it off. Having the line
in the
config file glorps it up a bit. It would be nicer if it silently
ignored it or
at least printed a more helpful message stating that it was on and
going to ignore
the line in the config.

Refer here:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4557/sshuser-6?a=view

From: Orkan on
On Jul 20, 3:29 am, chuckers <chucker...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 19, 6:18 pm, Orkan <orkand...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Everybody,
>
> > I'm trying to configure Ssh Privileged User for SunSSH on Solaris
> > 10u8. I created sshd user:
>
> > /etc/passwd: sshd:x:74:74:Privilege-separated SSH:/var/empty:/sbin/
> > nologin
> > /etc/group: sshd::74:
>
> > Added lines to /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> > UseLogin yes
> > UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
>
> > and restarted ssh:
>
> > svcadm disable svc:/network/ssh:default
> > svcadm enable svc:/network/ssh:default
>
> > And I cannot login :)
>
> > my /var/adm/messages has these lines:
>
> > fatal: Userauth method unknown while starting PAM
>
> > Any ideas what I should change/add/fix ?
>
> I believe you just need to remove the "UsePrivilegeSeperation yes"
> line from
> your config if you are going to use the ssh included with Solaris 10.
>
> This is sort of a "bug" with Solaris 10 version of ssh.  Solaris ssh
> always
> uses privilege separation and you can't turn it off.  Having the line
> in the
> config file glorps it up a bit.  It would be nicer if it silently
> ignored it or
> at least printed a more helpful message stating that it was on and
> going to ignore
> the line in the config.
>
> Refer here:
>
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4557/sshuser-6?a=view

Hi Again,

Thank you for your answer, that was really helpfull. I'm removing
"UsePrivilegeSeparation yes" line; but leaving "UseLogin yes" line
still prevents me from logging in. Any ideas about this one?

Cheers,
Orkan
From: chuckers on
On Jul 20, 3:51 pm, Orkan <orkand...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 3:29 am, chuckers <chucker...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 19, 6:18 pm, Orkan <orkand...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi Everybody,
>
> > > I'm trying to configure Ssh Privileged User for SunSSH on Solaris
> > > 10u8. I created sshd user:
>
> > > /etc/passwd: sshd:x:74:74:Privilege-separated SSH:/var/empty:/sbin/
> > > nologin
> > > /etc/group: sshd::74:
>
> > > Added lines to /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> > > UseLogin yes
> > > UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
>
> > > and restarted ssh:
>
> > > svcadm disable svc:/network/ssh:default
> > > svcadm enable svc:/network/ssh:default
>
> > > And I cannot login :)
>
> > > my /var/adm/messages has these lines:
>
> > > fatal: Userauth method unknown while starting PAM
>
> > > Any ideas what I should change/add/fix ?
>
> > I believe you just need to remove the "UsePrivilegeSeperation yes"
> > line from
> > your config if you are going to use the ssh included with Solaris 10.
>
> > This is sort of a "bug" with Solaris 10 version of ssh.  Solaris ssh
> > always
> > uses privilege separation and you can't turn it off.  Having the line
> > in the
> > config file glorps it up a bit.  It would be nicer if it silently
> > ignored it or
> > at least printed a more helpful message stating that it was on and
> > going to ignore
> > the line in the config.
>
> > Refer here:
>
> >http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4557/sshuser-6?a=view
>
> Hi Again,
>
> Thank you for your answer, that was really helpfull. I'm removing
> "UsePrivilegeSeparation yes" line; but leaving "UseLogin yes" line
> still prevents me from logging in. Any ideas about this one?
>
> Cheers,
> Orkan

I suppose you remembered to restart sshd after changing the config,
right?

Does ssh -vvv hostname provide anything useful?

Pages: 1
Prev: format /c0t0d0s0?
Next: NFSv4 + Linux server