From: hadi motamedi on
Dear All
I need to format a hard disk for my solaris8 machine . I connected it
to its IDE and placed solaris8 install cd and then booted my machine
like 'ok>boot cdrom' . At the os prompt, I tried to use format command
and its output shows one disk on /c0t0d0 but it cannot format hard
drive . Can you please let me know what options do I have to try to
format it ?
Thank you
From: solx on
On 19/07/2010 05:27, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I need to format a hard disk for my solaris8 machine . I connected it
> to its IDE and placed solaris8 install cd and then booted my machine
> like 'ok>boot cdrom' . At the os prompt, I tried to use format command
> and its output shows one disk on /c0t0d0 but it cannot format hard
> drive . Can you please let me know what options do I have to try to
> format it ?
> Thank you

To format the disk boot Solaris, start an install using the GUI when you
get to the GUI, start a console and then

# format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. c2t0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 30269 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>

/pci(a)7c,0/pci10de,376@a/pci1033,125@0/pci8086,335@4/pci1000,3008@e/sd@0,0

Specify disk (enter its number): 0 <- enter disk number
selecting c2t1d0
[disk formatted]
Warning: Current Disk has mounted partitions.
/dev/dsk/c2t1d0s7 is currently mounted on /home. Please see umount(1M).

FORMAT MENU:
disk - select a disk
type - select (define) a disk type
partition - select (define) a partition table
current - describe the current disk
format - format and analyze the disk
fdisk - run the fdisk program (used by Sol x86)
repair - repair a defective sector
label - write label to the disk
analyze - surface analysis
defect - defect list management
backup - search for backup labels
verify - read and display labels
save - save new disk/partition definitions
inquiry - show vendor, product and revision
volname - set 8-character volume name
!<cmd> - execute <cmd>, then return
quit
format> fdisk (to create Solaris Disk partition)

format> partition (to create Solaris filesystem partitions)

format> label (to write Solaris filesystem partitions to disk!!)

format> quit

You can then use newfs to format the defined partitions with UFS to
allow them to be mounted.

From: hadi motamedi on
On Jul 19, 12:38 am, solx <nos...(a)example.net> wrote:
> On 19/07/2010 05:27, hadi motamedi wrote:
>
> > Dear All
> > I need to format a hard disk for my solaris8 machine . I connected it
> > to its IDE and placed solaris8 install cd and then booted my machine
> > like 'ok>boot cdrom' . At the os prompt, I tried to use format command
> > and its output shows one disk on /c0t0d0 but it cannot format hard
> > drive . Can you please let me know what options do I have to try to
> > format it ?
> > Thank you
>
> To format the disk boot Solaris, start an install using the GUI when you
> get to the GUI, start a console and then
>
> # format
> Searching for disks...done
>
> AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
>         0. c2t0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 30269 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
>
> /pci(a)7c,0/pci10de,376@a/pci1033,125@0/pci8086,335@4/pci1000,3008@e/sd@0,0
>
> Specify disk (enter its number): 0 <- enter disk number
> selecting c2t1d0
> [disk formatted]
> Warning: Current Disk has mounted partitions.
> /dev/dsk/c2t1d0s7 is currently mounted on /home. Please see umount(1M).
>
> FORMAT MENU:
>          disk       - select a disk
>          type       - select (define) a disk type
>          partition  - select (define) a partition table
>          current    - describe the current disk
>          format     - format and analyze the disk
>          fdisk      - run the fdisk program     (used by Sol x86)
>          repair     - repair a defective sector
>          label      - write label to the disk
>          analyze    - surface analysis
>          defect     - defect list management
>          backup     - search for backup labels
>          verify     - read and display labels
>          save       - save new disk/partition definitions
>          inquiry    - show vendor, product and revision
>          volname    - set 8-character volume name
>          !<cmd>     - execute <cmd>, then return
>          quit
> format>  fdisk (to create Solaris Disk partition)
>
> format>  partition (to create Solaris filesystem partitions)
>
> format>  label   (to write Solaris filesystem partitions to disk!!)
>
> format>  quit
>
> You can then use newfs to format the defined partitions with UFS to
> allow them to be mounted.

Sorry. My solaris8 booting from 'ok>boot cdrom' does not show the
format>fdisk utility . Can you please let me know why I don't have
format>fdisk ? Can I try for something equivalent instead?
From: Paul Gress on
On 07/19/10 04:27 AM, hadi motamedi wrote:
> On Jul 19, 12:38 am, solx<nos...(a)example.net> wrote:
>> On 19/07/2010 05:27, hadi motamedi wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All
>>> I need to format a hard disk for my solaris8 machine . I connected it
>>> to its IDE and placed solaris8 install cd and then booted my machine
>>> like 'ok>boot cdrom' . At the os prompt, I tried to use format command
>>> and its output shows one disk on /c0t0d0 but it cannot format hard
>>> drive . Can you please let me know what options do I have to try to
>>> format it ?
>>> Thank you

>> fdisk - run the fdisk program (used by Sol x86)

> Sorry. My solaris8 booting from 'ok>boot cdrom' does not show the
> format>fdisk utility . Can you please let me know why I don't have
> format>fdisk ? Can I try for something equivalent instead?

"fdisk" is for X86 computers only. The fact that your booting from the CD with "OK> boot cd" says your computer is Sparc based, there is no fdisk.

So then just do:

format> partition (to create Solaris filesystem partitions)

format> label (to write Solaris filesystem partitions to disk!!)

format> quit

Also, don't forget to put a file system on the disk after formating, use either "newfs" or "mkfs". "newfs" is easier to use.

Paul
From: hadi motamedi on
On Jul 19, 11:41 am, Paul Gress <pgr...(a)pb.net> wrote:
> On 07/19/10 04:27 AM, hadi motamedi wrote:

> >>           fdisk      - run the fdisk program     (used by Sol x86)
>
> > Sorry. My solaris8 booting from 'ok>boot cdrom' does not show the
> > format>fdisk utility . Can you please let me know why I don't have
> > format>fdisk ? Can I try for something equivalent instead?
>
> "fdisk" is for X86 computers only.  The fact that your booting from the CD with "OK> boot cd" says your computer is Sparc based, there is no fdisk..
>
> So then just do:
>
> format>  partition (to create Solaris filesystem partitions)
>
> format>  label   (to write Solaris filesystem partitions to disk!!)
>
> format>  quit
>
> Also, don't forget to put a file system on the disk after formating, use either "newfs" or "mkfs". "newfs" is easier to use.
>
> Paul

I tried as the following :
format>partition>print
format>label