From: chuckers on
On Jul 20, 2:29 pm, hadi motamedi <motamed...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 19, 11:41 am, Paul Gress <pgr...(a)pb.net> wrote:

> > > Sorry. My solaris8 booting from 'ok>boot cdrom' does not show the
> > > format>fdisk utility . Can you please let me know why I don't have
> > > format>fdisk ? Can I try for something equivalent instead?
>
> > "fdisk" is for X86 computers only.  The fact that your booting from the CD with "OK> boot cd" says your computer is Sparc based, there is no fdisk.
>
> > So then just do:
>
> > format>  partition (to create Solaris filesystem partitions)
>
> > format>  label   (to write Solaris filesystem partitions to disk!!)
>
> > format>  quit
>
> > Also, don't forget to put a file system on the disk after formating, use either "newfs" or "mkfs". "newfs" is easier to use.
>
> > Paul
>
> I tried as the following :
> format>partition>print
> format>label
> format>quit
> #newfs -m 1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
> #reboot
> ok>boot disk
> But it returned as :
> 'failed to read super block
> file not executable'

Assuming disk returns the same things as /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 you don't
have
an O/S installed on on your disk if that is the procedure you
followed.

Just formatting the disk does nothing for you. The system doesn't
know what to
do with a blank disk. No O/S does. You need to have certain files on
it to tell
the boot loader what to do.

Install an O/S on the disk and try again.
From: hadi motamedi on
On Jul 19, 10:35 pm, chuckers <chucker...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2:29 pm, hadi motamedi <motamed...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > "fdisk" is for X86 computers only.  The fact that your booting from the CD with "OK> boot cd" says your computer is Sparc based, there is no fdisk.
>
> > > So then just do:
>
> > > format>  partition (to create Solaris filesystem partitions)
>
> > > format>  label   (to write Solaris filesystem partitions to disk!!)
>
> > > format>  quit
>
> > > Also, don't forget to put a file system on the disk after formating, use either "newfs" or "mkfs". "newfs" is easier to use.
>
> > > Paul
>
> > I tried as the following :
> > format>partition>print
> > format>label
> > format>quit
> > #newfs -m 1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
> > #reboot
> > ok>boot disk
> > But it returned as :
> > 'failed to read super block
> > file not executable'
>
> Assuming disk returns the same things as /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 you don't
> have
> an O/S installed on on your disk if that is the procedure you
> followed.
>
> Just formatting the disk does nothing for you.  The system doesn't
> know what to
> do with a blank disk.  No O/S does.  You need to have certain files on
> it to tell
> the boot loader what to do.
>
> Install an O/S on the disk and try again.

I tried as :
insert solaris8 install cd
ok>boot cdrom
But it ended with the following message :
error : could not label disk
error : could not update disk with new configuration
#
At this os prompt, I tried as :
#newfs -m 1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
#installboot /usr/platform/'uname -i'/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/
c0t0d0s0
#reboot
ok>boot disk
But it returned :
short disk read
failed to read super block
file not executable
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
hadi motamedi wrote:
> On Jul 19, 10:35 pm, chuckers <chucker...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I tried as the following :
>>> format>partition>print
>>> format>label
>>> format>quit
>>> #newfs -m 1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
>>> #reboot
>>> ok>boot disk
>>> But it returned as :
>>> 'failed to read super block
>>> file not executable'
>> Assuming disk returns the same things as /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 you don't
>> have
>> an O/S installed on on your disk if that is the procedure you
>> followed.
>>
>> Just formatting the disk does nothing for you. The system doesn't
>> know what to
>> do with a blank disk. No O/S does. You need to have certain files on
>> it to tell
>> the boot loader what to do.
>>
>> Install an O/S on the disk and try again.
>
> I tried as :
> insert solaris8 install cd
> ok>boot cdrom
> But it ended with the following message :
> error : could not label disk
> error : could not update disk with new configuration
> #
> At this os prompt, I tried as :
> #newfs -m 1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
> #installboot /usr/platform/'uname -i'/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/
> c0t0d0s0
> #reboot
> ok>boot disk
> But it returned :
> short disk read
> failed to read super block
> file not executable

Those messages strongly suggest that there is no disk "c0t0d0s0" or that
the disk is not usable!

It *might* help if you would tell us your hardware configuration *in
detail*:
a. Manufacturer and model of your computer.
b. Number and model(s) of disk(s).
c. The amount of RAM installed
From: Kees Nuyt on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:53:27 -0700 (PDT), hadi motamedi
<motamedi24(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I tried as :
>insert solaris8 install cd
>ok>boot cdrom
>But it ended with the following message :
>error : could not label disk
>error : could not update disk with new configuration
>#
>At this os prompt, I tried as :
>#newfs -m 1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
>#installboot /usr/platform/'uname -i'/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/
>c0t0d0s0
>#reboot
>ok>boot disk
>But it returned :
>short disk read
>failed to read super block
>file not executable

Did you try to scan the devices from the Ok prompt?
Did you define the devalias "disk" to point at the correct disk
device (hardware path)?
I don't know the appropriate commands from the top of my head.
Apparently the setting for cdrom is ok, but the disk might be at
an other channel / target / disk. Perhaps it's not c0t0d0?
Best regards,
--
( Kees Nuyt
)