From: hadi motamedi on
On Jul 20, 11:48 am, Kees Nuyt <k.n...(a)nospam.demon.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:53:27 -0700 (PDT), hadi motamedi
>

> <motamed...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >I tried as :
> >insert solaris8 install cd
> >ok>boot cdrom
> >But it ended with the following message :
> >error : could not label disk
> >error : could not update disk with new configuration
> >#
> >At this os prompt, I tried as :
> >#newfs -m 1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
> >#installboot /usr/platform/'uname -i'/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/
> >c0t0d0s0
> >#reboot
> >ok>boot disk
> >But it returned :
> >short disk read
> >failed to read super block
> >file not executable
>
> Did you try to scan the devices from the Ok prompt?
> Did you define the devalias "disk" to point at the correct disk
> device (hardware path)?
> I don't know the appropriate commands from the top of my head.
> Apparently the setting for cdrom is ok, but the disk might be at
> an other channel / target / disk. Perhaps it's not c0t0d0?
> Best regards,
> --
>   ( Kees Nuyt
>   )
> c[_]

Sorry. What do you mean by 'scanning devices from the ok prompt'? Do
you mean ok>test-all ?
I checked for devalias and I found that the alias for 'disk' is
correct . It is as :
disk /pci(a)1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@d/disk@0,0
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
hadi motamedi wrote:
> On Jul 20, 5:27 am, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> hadi motamedi wrote:

Please provide the full and *exact* text of all messages issued when you
try to use format command.

>>> I tried as :
>>> insert solaris8 install cd
>>> ok>boot cdrom
>>> But it ended with the following message :
>>> error : could not label disk
>>> error : could not update disk with new configuration
>>> #
>>> At this os prompt, I tried as :
>>> #newfs -m 1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

This completed without error???

>>> #installboot /usr/platform/'uname -i'/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/
>>> c0t0d0s0

Did this complete without error?
>>> #reboot
>>> ok>boot disk
>>> But it returned :
>>> short disk read
>>> failed to read super block
>>> file not executable
>> Those messages strongly suggest that there is no disk "c0t0d0s0" or that
>> the disk is not usable!
>>
>> It *might* help if you would tell us your hardware configuration *in
>> detail*:
>> a. Manufacturer and model of your computer.
>> b. Number and model(s) of disk(s).
>> c. The amount of RAM installed
>
> Please find below the required info :
> model of computer : Naturetech 888p
> manufacturer : naturetechws.com
> no. of disks : 1
> model of disk : HTS548040M9AT00
> amount of RAM : 512 MB

Okay, that tells me that it's a 40 GB IDE disk from Hitachi and that you
have more than the required minimum of RAM. Taken together with your
earlier message, it strongly suggests that there is no operating system
on the disk! It also suggests an X86 (PC) architecture.

You might find it helpful to go to docs.sun.com. There you will find
downloadable copies of hardware and software documentation. ISTR that
you can also read it on line.
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-21 13:29:02 +0100, Richard B. Gilbert said:

> hadi motamedi wrote:
>> Please find below the required info :
>> model of computer : Naturetech 888p
>> manufacturer : naturetechws.com
>> no. of disks : 1
>> model of disk : HTS548040M9AT00
>> amount of RAM : 512 MB
>
> Okay, that tells me that it's a 40 GB IDE disk from Hitachi and that
> you have more than the required minimum of RAM. Taken together with
> your earlier message, it strongly suggests that there is no operating
> system on the disk! It also suggests an X86 (PC) architecture.

Yes, but I think he's running qemu on his x86 box in order to emulate a SPARC.

--
Chris

From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 2010-07-21 13:29:02 +0100, Richard B. Gilbert said:
>
>> hadi motamedi wrote:
>>> Please find below the required info :
>>> model of computer : Naturetech 888p
>>> manufacturer : naturetechws.com
>>> no. of disks : 1
>>> model of disk : HTS548040M9AT00
>>> amount of RAM : 512 MB
>>
>> Okay, that tells me that it's a 40 GB IDE disk from Hitachi and that
>> you have more than the required minimum of RAM. Taken together with
>> your earlier message, it strongly suggests that there is no operating
>> system on the disk! It also suggests an X86 (PC) architecture.
>
> Yes, but I think he's running qemu on his x86 box in order to emulate a
> SPARC.

*That*, I can't help him with!

Wouldn't it be simpler to run the X86 version of Solaris?
From: Paul Gress on
On 07/21/10 08:33 AM, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 2010-07-21 13:29:02 +0100, Richard B. Gilbert said:
>
>> hadi motamedi wrote:
>>> Please find below the required info :
>>> model of computer : Naturetech 888p
>>> manufacturer : naturetechws.com
>>> no. of disks : 1
>>> model of disk : HTS548040M9AT00
>>> amount of RAM : 512 MB
>>
>> Okay, that tells me that it's a 40 GB IDE disk from Hitachi and that
>> you have more than the required minimum of RAM. Taken together with
>> your earlier message, it strongly suggests that there is no operating
>> system on the disk! It also suggests an X86 (PC) architecture.
>
> Yes, but I think he's running qemu on his x86 box in order to emulate a
> SPARC.

A google search on Naturetech:

Naturetech 888P is a single UltraSPARCIIi based Solaris workstation that provides high reliability, availability and serviceability features.

Basically it's a Sparc based Laptop.