From: Bwig Zomberi on
Dean g wrote:
> Thanks for the help guys, i have a new problem with this
> though hopefully you can help with.
>
> I can't get the documents to open in the browser, they
> automatically save.

This depends on the browser setting. You may have prevented the show
dialog box setting and set it for automatic save. Try with another
browser or in another computer.

> Ideally i would like to open the files in
> a popup window if thats possible.

In the link that connects to this ASP, use target="_blank".

Omit the Response.AddHeader.

Depending on the mime type and related-settings, the browser may display
the contents in a new window. If browser is configured to load the
content outside the browser in the native application, it may do so.

> my code looks like this, the inline just ins't doing anything.
>
> Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition","inline; filename="&
> file

It provides a file name for the contents sent by the ASP page.
Otherwise, you have to enter a name or the browser will give a name.

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Dean g on
Thanks again Bwig, i hadn't set the content type properly.

Its working well now.

From: Bwig Zomberi on
Dan wrote:

> "Dean g" <big_deanus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks for the help Bwig
>
> Just a note though - if the file is large, you may have to send it out
> in chunks instead of all in one go. If you Google for "ado stream
> binarywrite" you'll find plenty of examples of how to do this in ASP.

Dan, I wanted to implement something like this. However, for very large
file downloads and slow user connections, the script will have to be
running for a long time. IIS will kill any request after some time. Do
you or anyone else know how to avoid that?

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Dan on

"Bwig Zomberi" <zomberiMAPSONNOSPAM(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Dan wrote:
>>
>> "Dean g" <big_deanus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help Bwig
>>
>> Just a note though - if the file is large, you may have to send it out
>> in chunks instead of all in one go. If you Google for "ado stream
>> binarywrite" you'll find plenty of examples of how to do this in ASP.
>>

> Dan, I wanted to implement something like this. However, for very large
> file downloads and slow user connections, the script will have to be
> running for a long time. IIS will kill any request after some time. Do you
> or anyone else know how to avoid that?

Look at documentation for the Server.ScriptTimeout property :)

--
Dan

From: Bwig Zomberi on
Dan wrote:

> "Bwig Zomberi" <zomberiMAPSONNOSPAM(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dan wrote:
>>>
>>> "Dean g" <big_deanus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Just a note though - if the file is large, you may have to send it out
>>> in chunks instead of all in one go. If you Google for "ado stream
>>> binarywrite" you'll find plenty of examples of how to do this in ASP.
>>>

>> Dan, I wanted to implement something like this. However, for very
>> large file downloads and slow user connections, the script will have
>> to be running for a long time. IIS will kill any request after some
>> time. Do you or anyone else know how to avoid that?
>
> Look at documentation for the Server.ScriptTimeout property :)

No, Dan. There is a limit for that too. Imagine a 700 MB ISO file and
the user is on dialup. It will take several hours. IIS will kill the
request.

--
Bwig Zomberi