From: pam on

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <B0C5559B-0010-4165-AAFA-F984518C9997(a)microsoft.com>, Pam wrote:
> > I accidentally ran into this as I was looking at a pdf version of a
> > presentation dealing with trusted operating systems given at a security
> > conference. The mouse-over revealed the location of which missile defense
> > center command room was being pictured. I was able to finally figure out
> > where the unwanted text was "hidden" and was able to remove it before the pdf
> > went out. But I'm sure that this is a widespread issue.
>
> I imagine so, and it's unfortunate that there seems to be no way to set the
> options permanently. To some extent, though, it has to be the responsibility of
> those *concerned* about security to train users to enable security.
Sadly, there is nothing I have seen that mentions that file names of images
are embedded in the presentation as readable text, nor is there any
indication that this is going on under the covers.

> I suspect the defaults are there to meet the needs of most government and
> academic institutions for accessibility, a far larger audience.
I can't help but wonder why the file name of an image is of much use for
accessibility. So many are just of the form img0002.png or some such useless
thing. And I'm a bit surprised that it is done silently and without an
option to tell it not to. Oh, well. I'm not an expert in the area of
accessibility, just security.

> Just the same, this is obviously something MS should be aware of.
> I've passed it along to a contact there.
Thanks for doing that!

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <343CD9F8-9FFC-43AB-9A6B-436F86A7CEBC(a)microsoft.com>, Pam wrote:
> "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
>
> > In article <B0C5559B-0010-4165-AAFA-F984518C9997(a)microsoft.com>, Pam wrote:
> > > I accidentally ran into this as I was looking at a pdf version of a
> > > presentation dealing with trusted operating systems given at a security
> > > conference. The mouse-over revealed the location of which missile defense
> > > center command room was being pictured. I was able to finally figure out
> > > where the unwanted text was "hidden" and was able to remove it before the pdf
> > > went out. But I'm sure that this is a widespread issue.
> >
> > I imagine so, and it's unfortunate that there seems to be no way to set the
> > options permanently. To some extent, though, it has to be the responsibility of
> > those *concerned* about security to train users to enable security.
> Sadly, there is nothing I have seen that mentions that file names of images
> are embedded in the presentation as readable text, nor is there any
> indication that this is going on under the covers.

Perhaps not, but as I've just explained, there'a a way to turn it off.

> > I suspect the defaults are there to meet the needs of most government and
> > academic institutions for accessibility, a far larger audience.
> I can't help but wonder why the file name of an image is of much use for
> accessibility. So many are just of the form img0002.png or some such useless
> thing. And I'm a bit surprised that it is done silently and without an
> option to tell it not to.

Again, I"ve just explained how to tell it not to.