From: pam on
For corporate and government security reasons as well as for certain issues
of personal privacy, the file names associated with images must NOT appear in
the presentation, especially when converted to a PDF. However, PowerPoint
automatically inserts the image file name as alternate text. There is no way
to search for alternate text and there is no way to turn off this automatic
"feature." Users dealing with classified and sensitive information thus
unwittingly insert restricted information into PowerPoint files that migrate
with the file when it is converted to other formats. It also allows users to
covertly insert hidden text into presentations.

There really needs to be an option to not automatically generate alternate
text, and there needs to be a way to examine a presentation to find alternate
text. The "Document Inspector" feature should also be able to remove all
alternate text from a presentation.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=142b5581-dc8e-4183-85c5-2e97e10dbbb9&dg=microsoft.public.powerpoint
From: John Wilson john AT technologytrish.co DOT on
Hi Pam

We use a small in house AddIn that removes all AltText from 2007
presentations. Drop me a line you would like a copy to test.
--
john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk

Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <142B5581-DC8E-4183-85C5-2E97E10DBBB9(a)microsoft.com>, Pam wrote:
> For corporate and government security reasons as well as for certain issues
> of personal privacy, the file names associated with images must NOT appear in
> the presentation, especially when converted to a PDF. However, PowerPoint
> automatically inserts the image file name as alternate text.

This probably depends entirely on how you're making PDFs from PowerPoint.

For example, if you're using 2007 and the Save As | PDF option, I'm pretty sure all you
need to do is click the Options button in the Save As dialog box and remove the
checkmark next to "Document structure tags ..." option.

Unfortunately, PPT doesn't remember your choice here ... you'll need to do this every
time you make a PDF.

Other PDF-making methods probably have similar options

There is no way
> to search for alternate text and there is no way to turn off this automatic
> "feature." Users dealing with classified and sensitive information thus
> unwittingly insert restricted information into PowerPoint files that migrate
> with the file when it is converted to other formats. It also allows users to
> covertly insert hidden text into presentations.
>
> There really needs to be an option to not automatically generate alternate
> text, and there needs to be a way to examine a presentation to find alternate
> text. The "Document Inspector" feature should also be able to remove all
> alternate text from a presentation.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=142b5581-dc8e-4183-
85c5-2e97e10dbbb9&dg=microsoft.public.powerpoint

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: pam on
I accidentally ran into this as I was looking at a pdf version of a
presentation dealing with trusted operating systems given at a security
conference. The mouse-over revealed the location of which missile defense
center command room was being pictured. I was able to finally figure out
where the unwanted text was "hidden" and was able to remove it before the pdf
went out. But I'm sure that this is a widespread issue.
From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <B0C5559B-0010-4165-AAFA-F984518C9997(a)microsoft.com>, Pam wrote:
> I accidentally ran into this as I was looking at a pdf version of a
> presentation dealing with trusted operating systems given at a security
> conference. The mouse-over revealed the location of which missile defense
> center command room was being pictured. I was able to finally figure out
> where the unwanted text was "hidden" and was able to remove it before the pdf
> went out. But I'm sure that this is a widespread issue.

I imagine so, and it's unfortunate that there seems to be no way to set the
options permanently. To some extent, though, it has to be the responsibility of
those *concerned* about security to train users to enable security.

I suspect the defaults are there to meet the needs of most government and
academic institutions for accessibility, a far larger audience.

Just the same, this is obviously something MS should be aware of.
I've passed it along to a contact there.

We have a PDF-assistant sort of add-in for PowerPoint called Prep4PDF
http://www.pptools.com/prep4pdf/

If there's enough interest in this problem, I'd be happy to look into ways of
removing all such information while making PDFs. Try the free demo and use the
Contact link on the site to get in touch if interested.

Thanks for bringing this up.