From: hanson on
"Robert Higgins" <robert_higgins_61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Robert L. Oldershaw" <rlolders...(a)amherst.edu> wrote:
>> Robert Higgins <robert_higgins...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

hanson wrote:
You guys, Oldershaw & Higgins have a very interesting dialogue
going below: Treading new-land in phyiscs. Keep at it. My take:

AFA "Self-Similarity. That "[SS] term & issue is as "fast & loose"
as is the term "Relativity". Galilean, Keplerian, Newtonian and
Lorentzian relativities are all self-similar.. etc.. In ***math*** you
have a variant of Self-Similarity, like Julia & Mandelbrot with
its re-iterations: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-similarity>
wherein SS 's gravitas is topological and focuses on size.

But in a wider scope "self" in Self-similarity can be viewed/used
in the same way as do the relativists with their "Frame" concept.
In SS, you can do similar/analogue things like the Rel aficionados
do with their frame jumping and frame dragging. -- IOW, like in
relativity, if the phenomenon is useful for the theory then use it...
if not, then declare it to fall outside the domain of the theory.

NO model ever, of/about mature, will truly describe nature. If you
believe otherwise, like most ED insist do, then ask them to give
you the address of Einstein's younger Twin, or present to you the
chemical identity & composition of Einstein's rigid rod... ahahaha....

AFA you, Higgins, being a chemist, you might find more items of
Self-similarity then a physicist can easily see. In organic chem,
the "ortho-, meta- & para- substituted aromatics are self-similar
examples. Normal- and iso paraffins are Selfsimilar items, and
so are the chiral variants. Then there are the S, N & O substituted
5 or 6 C-ring Aromatics, aka Pyridines, Thiazines & Pyrimidines....
*** The Periodic System of the Elements is Self-Similarity ***
in its most familiar, obvious, self evident and broadest aspects...

So, Higgie, get in on the act and pursue this line of inquiry. This
SS is relatively new. IICRC it got its first boost in the 1960s.
I ran across the use and application of SS in the 1980, at a
symposium where the dude pontificated about "properties in a
universe with less than 1 dimension" ( was great fun... ahaha..)

This SEFC (Self Similarity/Emergence/Fractals&Chaos)
paradigm is one of the newer efforts in the schemes of modeling
nature and it presents a post-SR/GR stage in physics. Higgins,
it is new-land you are treading here with Oldershaw. Some ED's
worrying about some "sigmas of confidence" is to be expected
but they can be swept under the rug for now, safely... ahahaha...

Now, since this SS subject and objective is an enterprise under
construction, in which planning happens as it evolves, get in on
the action. For if you come up with the proper story/narrative about
SS that is interesting and saleable and you can show that SR/GR,
be they flawed or not, happen to be a subset of Self similarity, then
folks will quote and cite you as often as they do as Einstein.

If you have a personal ethno/political constituency, like Einstein
had in/with his Zionists, then you'd be in like him, fast,... ahaha..
So, Higgie start with teaming up with Oldershaw, who is already
hot and heavy at and into it. Remember, any 4 year old kid can
take things apart but it takes a man to put things together....

Thanks for the fun, guys... ahahaha... hahahahanson

----- The Oldershaw/Higgins tripe, that hanson responded to -----

Oldie wrote:
> Discrete Scale Relativity predicts that for every type of Atomic Scale
> phenomena there are exact self-similar analogues on the Stellar Scale.

Higgie wrote:
But there are clearly NOT - several examples of which Eric has already
listed. What is the Stellar analogue of spin-orbit coupling? Nuclear
spin statistics?

Oldie wrote:
> Since there are helium atoms undergoing single-level transitions in
> nature, AND since there are doubly excited carbon atoms undergoing 2-
> photon transitions in nature, then we should observe Stellar Scale
> systems doing the same thing. Right?

Higgie wrote:
First of all, your connection between atomic "transitions" and the
oscillatory periods of variable stars is very tenuous - and I am not
even an astronomer. No matter what transition you need, if you look
long enough, you'll find it.
***BTW, you never clearly explain the "self"part of "self-similarity"*** .

Oldie wrote:
> I think the above answer should your question #2. To put it even more
> baldly: Everything we observe on the Atomic Scale will be exactly
> repeated on the Stellar Scale, and the Galactic Scale, and the
> Subquantum Scale,

Higgie wrote:
Since electrons are elementary point particles with no substructure,
your theory is clearly in error. Just because something has a
periodicity that is some factor of some other periodicity is only
coincidence. Even if it weren't, it still does not prove your point.
Your self-similarity needs to be STRUCTURAL - but it isn't.

Oldie wrote:
> and for every cosmological Scale of the infinite
> self-similar hierarchy of conformally invariant Scales constituting
> nature.

Higgie wrote:
What exactly are you mapping conformally? Please state the function
that maps conformally between the atomic and stellar domains.

Oldie wrote:
> It is an idea that goes back to Democritus, Kant, Spinoza, Hermann
> Weyl, G. de Vaucouleurs, etc., etc., ... Finally we may have enough
> observational evidence to make this worlds-within-worlds paradigm a
> serious contender. It certainly makes more sense than the hackneyed
> postmodern pseudoscience that theoretical physicists keep trying to
> force-feed us.

Higgie wrote:
I am a chemist, so I don't have an axe to grind either way.

From: Thomas Heger on
hanson schrieb:
> "Robert Higgins" <robert_higgins_61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "Robert L. Oldershaw" <rlolders...(a)amherst.edu> wrote:
>>> Robert Higgins <robert_higgins...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

> AFA you, Higgins, being a chemist, you might find more items of
> Self-similarity then a physicist can easily see. In organic chem, the
> "ortho-, meta- & para- substituted aromatics are self-similar examples.
> Normal- and iso paraffins are Selfsimilar items, and so are the chiral
> variants. Then there are the S, N & O substituted
> 5 or 6 C-ring Aromatics, aka Pyridines, Thiazines & Pyrimidines....
> *** The Periodic System of the Elements is Self-Similarity ***
> in its most familiar, obvious, self evident and broadest aspects...

I would like to stress the importance of chemistry. The chemists have a
closer 'grip' to fundamental physics, (because they think in bonds or
connections and in structures of matter), than particle physicists -let
alone mathematicians. And they have an undebatable feedback, because
they could see (and smell), what they have done.
I myself had a lot of education in chemistry, even if it was in school
times. But I spend a lot of time on this subject - and was cooking stuff
together in our basement.
I remember being not really happy with the explanations provided,
because e.g. I could not understand why some materials have a specific
color.
So I think, chemists would be natural 'allies' for developing some new
kind of model for the microcosm, because they could use it in they daily
work.

TH
From: Robert L. Oldershaw on
On Jul 9, 2:00 am, Thomas Heger <ttt_...(a)web.de> wrote:

> I remember being not really happy with the explanations provided,
> because e.g. I could not understand why some materials have a specific
> color.
> So I think, chemists would be natural 'allies' for developing some new
> kind of model for the microcosm, because they could use it in they daily
> work.

I basically agree. I think biologists and chemists are more more in
contact with the real world of nature than are the Platonic
theoretical physicists.

RLO
www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw

From: Robert L. Oldershaw on
On Jul 10, 2:41 am, Thomas Heger <ttt_...(a)web.de> wrote:

> Personally I think, that matter is actually a
> structure of spacetime itself, as are fields or waves.

Basically, this is what General Relativity says.

Matter and the geometry of spacetime are intertwined and causally
linked.

In a phrase "no matter, no spacetime"

That was one of Einstein's take-home messages.

We just need to take the relativity program one more step and get rid
of absolute scale. That is what Discrete Scale Relativity does.

From: Robert Higgins on
On Jul 9, 1:04 pm, "Robert L. Oldershaw" <rlolders...(a)amherst.edu>
wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2:00 am, Thomas Heger <ttt_...(a)web.de> wrote:
>
> > I remember being not really happy with the explanations provided,
> > because e.g. I could not understand why some materials have a specific
> > color.
> > So I think, chemists would be natural 'allies' for developing some new
> > kind of model for the microcosm, because they could use it in they daily
> > work.

> I basically agree. I think biologists and chemists are more more in
> contact with the real world of nature than are the Platonic
> theoretical physicists.

Then why don't you use correct chemistry in your arguments? BTW, the
branch of chemistry called "physical chemistry" is very heavily
physics-based. (Curiously, there is also a field called "chemical
physics", which is even more physics-based). You never answered my
questions as to "self-similarity".