From: Lem on
Joy wrote:
> Back when I had dial up, I had installed some fax software (WinFax) in my
> computer, and I could send faxes then as long as I took the computer offline
> thus freeing up the phone line. Was the "regular" modem thus the fax modem
> you are talking about?

You probably had a "data/fax modem." Although in the earliest days of
dial-up internet, data-only modems were the norm, these combination
devices soon became popular. Both data modems and fax modems send their
signals over a regular telephone connection, which is why you had to
stop using the data part of the modem (take the computer off line) in
order to use the fax part of the modem (send a fax) and is also why you
couldn't make or receive telephone calls while you were online or
sending a fax. People who use fax machines a lot often get a second
telephone line just for the fax machine.

> As for our current setup on my husband's computer, the phone jack has the
> dual phone jack that AT&T send us, with half (filtered) for the phone, and
> the other half for the dsl modem. Don't know if that answers your question
> or not. BTW, there is no handset on the Lexmark.

Although DSL modems connect to the same physical wire as your telephone,
a DSL modem is very different from a data or fax modem. Faxes can't be
sent using a DSL modem. If you have a fax modem built into your
computer, you could connect it to the jack on the "dual phone jack" into
which your phone normally connects. In that case, you would be able to
send a fax using the built-in Win XP fax service *if* the Win XP fax
service decided it liked your particular modem. This software is
notoriously picky about the hardware it will work with.

If your new Lexmark All-In-One has fax capability, that means that it
has a fax modem built into it. This is completely separate from your
computer. In order to use the AIO to send a fax, you will have to
connect it to the same jack where your telephone now connects (as in the
above example) or to a second telephone line. Windows XP Fax can't use
your AIO to send a fax. Whether you can send a fax from your computer
using the AIO (as compared to sending a fax directly from the AIO using
its front panel controls) depends on the software supplied with the device.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

From: Addison Steele on
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:37:04 -0700, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>Joy wrote:
>> Back when I had dial up, I had installed some fax software (WinFax) in my
>> computer, and I could send faxes then as long as I took the computer offline
>> thus freeing up the phone line. Was the "regular" modem thus the fax modem
>> you are talking about?
>>

> No, "regular" modems were just that, and didn't have fax capabilities.
> Fax modems are different, in that they have that additional capability.

How many years has it been since "regular" modems were sold? I
believe modems have had faxing capability for at least 10 years now.
From: Patrick Keenan on
> Back when I had dial up, I had installed some fax software (WinFax) in my
> computer, and I could send faxes then as long as I took the computer
> offline thus freeing up the phone line. Was the "regular" modem thus the
> fax modem you are talking about?

Yes, and the fax call was a different call from the dial-up. You have to
hang up one call to make the other.

It's rarer now for this to be the case, but not all modems have fax
capabilities.

> As for our current setup on my husband's computer, the phone jack has the
> dual phone jack that AT&T send us, with half (filtered) for the phone, and
> the other half for the dsl modem. Don't know if that answers your
> question

Yes. Your system must have a fax-modem, and it must be plugged into the
same part of the line that your phone is. There needs to be a filter.

You configure the fax software to talk to the fax modem, not the DSL, and
when it goes off hook to send a fax you should hear a dialtone if you have
the speaker set to on. Having the speaker on is annoying during regular
use, but very helpful while setting up.

> or not. BTW, there is no handset on the Lexmark.

Often these - and all modems - have two jacks, one for incoming phone line
and one for a phone (or handset). Attach a regular phone to that 2nd jack
and pick up the handset. If there's no dialtone, the modem or multifunction
isn't connected to the phone line, and you won't be able to fax.

Message-waiting dialtone beeps can also cause a no-dialtone message.

HTH
-pk

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:29:32 -0500, "Joy" <joymp2(a)nospambellsouth.net>
wrote:

> Trying for the first time to send a fax, using the "built in" fax in
> WindowsXP. Got all the way to the send part, and it said No Dial Tone.
> We recently got dsl, and the modem is hard wired to my husband's computer
> and then we have a Wireless router to send the signal to my computer. I
> thought perhaps that was why No Dial Tone. So then I tried using my
> husband's new Lexmark All-In-One and its fax capability. This time it
> "found" the modem, but nevertheless when it finally got to the sending
> phase, it also said No Dial Tone.

You are apparently trying to send a fax over the DSL line. That's not
possible. The fax modem needs to be connected to a dial-up line.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Joy on
Thank you one and all. I may need someone (locally) to show me if/how I can
hook up a phone line to my old (in the computer) modem in order to send a
fax (and, I assume, bypass the dsl modem temporarily). But there's no
rush, I don't send faxes very often; just had this one that needed to go out
this week, and we took it to our bank to send it! Thanks again.