From: Joy on
Trying for the first time to send a fax, using the "built in" fax in
WindowsXP. Got all the way to the send part, and it said No Dial Tone.
We recently got dsl, and the modem is hard wired to my husband's computer
and then we have a Wireless router to send the signal to my computer. I
thought perhaps that was why No Dial Tone. So then I tried using my
husband's new Lexmark All-In-One and its fax capability. This time it
"found" the modem, but nevertheless when it finally got to the sending
phase, it also said No Dial Tone.

From: Patrick Keenan on
"Joy" <joymp2(a)nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Trying for the first time to send a fax, using the "built in" fax in
> WindowsXP. Got all the way to the send part, and it said No Dial Tone.

And that's a big clue that you aren't using a fax modem connected to a phone
line.

> We recently got dsl, and the modem is hard wired to my husband's computer

You cannot fax with a DSL modem.

You need a fax-modem, which connects to an analog phone line, just like a
regular phone. This also needs to use a DSL filter.

Many systems now do not have fax-modems, and it's getting harder to find
them.

> and then we have a Wireless router to send the signal to my computer. I
> thought perhaps that was why No Dial Tone.

The network connection isn't relevant to faxing, since you need a fax-modem
on a phone line.

> So then I tried using my husband's new Lexmark All-In-One and its fax
> capability.

Is that one connected to a phone line?

> This time it "found" the modem, but nevertheless when it finally got to
> the sending phase, it also said No Dial Tone.

Pick up the handset on the Lexmark and listen for the dial tone. If it
doesn't have one, it may not be connected to a phone line with a filter.

HTH
-pk

From: Joy on
Back when I had dial up, I had installed some fax software (WinFax) in my
computer, and I could send faxes then as long as I took the computer offline
thus freeing up the phone line. Was the "regular" modem thus the fax modem
you are talking about?

As for our current setup on my husband's computer, the phone jack has the
dual phone jack that AT&T send us, with half (filtered) for the phone, and
the other half for the dsl modem. Don't know if that answers your question
or not. BTW, there is no handset on the Lexmark.

From: Jonathan Harker on
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:20:37 -0500, "Joy" <joymp2(a)nospambellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Back when I had dial up, I had installed some fax software (WinFax) in my
>computer, and I could send faxes then as long as I took the computer offline
>thus freeing up the phone line. Was the "regular" modem thus the fax modem
>you are talking about?
>
>As for our current setup on my husband's computer, the phone jack has the
>dual phone jack that AT&T send us, with half (filtered) for the phone, and
>the other half for the dsl modem. Don't know if that answers your question
>or not. BTW, there is no handset on the Lexmark.

Get one of those connectors that split the phone connector so that two
lines can be connected through it. Phone to one side, computer to
other.

They can be found practically anywhere phone cords, etc. are sold.

From: Bruce Chambers on
Joy wrote:
> Back when I had dial up, I had installed some fax software (WinFax) in my
> computer, and I could send faxes then as long as I took the computer offline
> thus freeing up the phone line. Was the "regular" modem thus the fax modem
> you are talking about?

No, "regular" modems were just that, and didn't have fax capabilities.
Fax modems are different, in that they have that additional capability.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.