From: RayLopez99 on
Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
(including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
commercial antivirus protection?

One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
legion. But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
get the impression such problems are rare.

Who is more right?

BTW, check out this PDF on AV software:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEDInyvV2WgWDzeAWeAjzJKLymkDA

It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
seen one in the wild...

RL
From: Peter Köhlmann on
RayLopez99 wrote:

> Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
> (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
> commercial antivirus protection?

Yes

> One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
> legion. But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
> get the impression such problems are rare.
>
> Who is more right?

So the estimate that around 30% of all windows computers are infected is
"rare problems"

> BTW, check out this PDF on AV software:
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.av-
comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEDInyvV2WgWDzeAWeAjzJKLymkDA

> It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
> catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
> about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
> seen one in the wild...

In short, you brag about those new viruses found by AV software.
And then gallantly forget about those 31% to 86% *not* found.

That you are incredibly stupid has been proven time and again, the last
instances were your imbecile claims of "open source"

But this again shows that you are a lot dumber than dirt

And your problem obviously is that you are not just /acting/ dumb. You
*are* dumb. Incredibly dumb
--
I say you need to visit Clues 'R' Us. They are having a special on
slightly used clues.

From: trigonometry1972 on
On Mar 23, 12:51 am, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
> (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
> commercial antivirus protection?
>
> One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
> legion.  But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
> get the impression such problems are rare.
>
> Who is more right?
>
> BTW, check out this PDF on AV software:http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...
>
> It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
> catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%).  And we're taking
> about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
> seen one in the wild...
>
> RL

What ever you do don't get Panda AV software, IMO.
From: trigonometry1972 on
On Mar 23, 12:51 am, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
> (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
> commercial antivirus protection?
>
> One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
> legion.  But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
> get the impression such problems are rare.
>
> Who is more right?
>
> BTW, check out this PDF on AV software:http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...
>
> It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
> catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%).  And we're taking
> about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
> seen one in the wild...
>
> RL

Pretty dismal results on the part of the payware AV programs.
~50 to 70 percent and that is being generous.
From: peterwn on
On Mar 23, 8:51 pm, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
> (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
> commercial antivirus protection?

Yes. I had to clean up a Windows laptop last year despite things
being kept up to date and AV installed. The AV was bloody hopeless at
setecting it despite being kept up to date.