From: ToolPackinMama on
On 3/23/2010 2:59 PM, Conor wrote:
> On 23/03/2010 07:51, RayLopez99 wrote:
>> Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
>> (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
>> commercial antivirus protection?
>>
>> One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
>> legion. But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
>> get the impression such problems are rare.
>>
>> Who is more right?
>>

> As someone who repairs a lot, I have. However, these have ended up
> installed as a result of the pillock at the keyboard ignoring all the
> warnings.

Any of you have opinions about the security built into Win 7 (UAC), and
about Microsoft Security Essentials?
From: SteveH on
RayLopez99 wrote:

> This is believable. I count myself as "two times" but both times were
> not for viruses, but because a certain program or two I installed
> would not uninstall itself properly. This is not a virus, as I define
> it.
>
> Thanks for keeping this thread short Rex. I lerned a lot actually.
> Like I say, Windows is not bad at all vis-a-vis viruses.
>
> RL

I've come to the conclusion, you ARE Skybuck Flying and I claim my �5

--
SteveH

From: FromTheRafters on
"RayLopez99" <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
> catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
> about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
> seen one in the wild...

Detecting zoo viruses will skew results. The ability to detect them adds
no protection at all, since you won't be exposed to them. There is much
discussion about this in the AV community. I hold with those that would
ban zoo viruses from "test sets" except for showing that the technology
is there to detect them if they do ever make the ITW list.

Keep the technology that allows the detection of difficult viruses, even
if no viruses of that type are ITW, but exclude them from comparative
tests because to have no real world impact.

From: ToolPackinMama on
On 3/23/2010 3:53 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:

> OK, fine, but essentially your brother accidentally installed a
> program he should not have had--kind of like those junk shareware
> programs that infect your registry and can never be removed, even
> after Uninstall

I have urgently warned my friends and family against the use of
file-shareing freeware and such. Heck, convincing them to use even one
antivirus program reliably has proven impossible. Even though I remind
them, and help them, and check up on them, and explain and re-explain
the dangers, they just plain ignore me. They "forget" that it's
important, and forget to update, and forget to run scans, and when I set
the scans to be automatic, they cancel the scanning if they catch it
running, because "they are trying to do something" while it's running.

Look, the malware guys will keep winning and keep getting what they
want, because idiots aren't required to have a license to drive a
computer. It's just like nearly any idiot woman can become a mother.

It's a very touchy subject, because actually controlling what people do
becomes a rights issue. At this time, people generally have a right to
be idiots, even when it causes problems for others. What can you do?
You can't make stupidity illegal, or else 7/8th of the world's human
beings would have to be imprisoned.

It's clear why Linux is not the solution. Idiots can't use Linux.
Gloat all you want, you Linux lovers, but your services and businesses
are still going to be shut down, because the people running the world
are not you.
From: FromTheRafters on

"peterwn" <pmilne29(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 23, 8:51 pm, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
> (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
> commercial antivirus protection?

Yes. I had to clean up a Windows laptop last year despite things
being kept up to date and AV installed. The AV was bloody hopeless at
setecting it despite being kept up to date.

***
It might be worth considering that AVs are *never* up to date, and even
if they were capable of being so, would *still* miss some malware.
The key is to not expose the AV to malware.
***