From: Leythos on
In article <hobh0h$s1i$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
philnblanc(a)comcast.net says...
> Please, guys and gals, urge your friends and customers to turn the
> computers off when they are not using them... unless there is a
> compelling reason to do otherwise.

You mean like maintenance that happens after the users are done using
the computer?

You mean like AV scans that happen at night so that they don't impact
the user during the normal use hours?

You mean like windows updates between 3AM and 4AM?

You mean like remotely connecting to the computer to work?

In 30+ years of working with computers I've had exactly 1 malware on a
computer I own/control and my own computers as well as most of the
computers at our customers sites run 24/7.

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <qluiq59i975s6scc2slnl6gf6fcc02onvr(a)4ax.com>,
none(a)none.invalid says...

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:14:24 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
> >From: "Char Jackson" <none(a)none.invalid>

> >| I agree with the advice, although I don't follow it myself. To me, the
> >| primary reason for turning a system off is to save electricity.
> >

> >Actualy the quiescent temperature is better since you dont have hard drive warming
> >exapnsion and drive cooling contraction cycles adding tom the wear and tear factor and
> >aging of a hard disk.
>
> Probably true, but I have no evidence, even anecdotal evidence, to
> indicate that it makes an appreciable difference in equipment life. :)

If you've worked with Electronics for any length of time, and with
devices that have bearings, you would know, without guessing, that
turning off a device increases chances of a problem when you try and use
it again. There are also times when a device fails due to normal
wear/tear/age....

Trust yourself.
From: tom on

"RayLopez99" <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 23, 11:48 pm, "tom" <2@~.com> wrote:

> Yes, while using XP. I clicked on a site from a cigar NG that sold torch
> lighters. Got shot to some chinese site and my "free" CA AV program lit up
> like a xmas tree. It warned me of the infection and supposedly deleted it.
> But it wasn't gone.

>>Switch to Microsoft's AV offering (see the report), or Avant?! (or the
>>other one that starts with an 'A'), which were #2 and #1 on the list,
>>or Kaspersky (top 33%)

Been using Kaspersky ever since. Never had a problem.

From: RayLopez99 on
On Mar 24, 3:55 pm, "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodg...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:

> Regards, Dave Hodgins

OK, noted. Stories about improperly installed AV programs and zero-
day attacks that are really the fault of the user (since the patch is
available) are noted.

Thanks, and that proves my point.

RL
From: RayLopez99 on
On Mar 24, 1:52 pm, Leythos <spam999f...(a)rrohio.com> wrote:

> > Ancient history, like your name.
>
> > Goodbye Leythos (sounds Greek to me!)
>
> I see you've graduated to troll status.

Who cares? You like attribution it seems--so if you're American you
voted against Obama because he's black? And you know the stats about
blacks...crimes and stuff.

Troll or not, my points stand. Your 'point' is on your head. Quit
reading the signature line and start reading the content of the post.

RL