From: Leythos on
In article <hoe7t9$umc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
philnblanc(a)comcast.net says...
> I also am going to continue to urge people to turn theirs off when not
> in use, and I urge you all to do the same - but NOT because it will
> extend the life of the components.

If you consider the following:

Your LCD monitor goes to sleep in XX minutes if not used
Your Hard-Drive goes to sleep in XX minutes if not used
Your CPU throttles down in XX minutes under no load
Your case fans throttle down when the heat decreases

If you use your computer for 12-16 hours per day, how much money does it
save you over 1 year to turn it off for 8 hours per day?

Do you actually know the power level difference when all of the power
saving features, except suspend/hibernation, are used vs. turning the
computer completely off?

Trust yourself.
From: FromTheRafters on
"RayLopez99" <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

Same with computer viruses. In our modern era John, who is getting
infected? Nobody SAVE zero-day attack victims.

***
There you hit the nail on the head. Most of today's malware relies on
exploiting that zero-day window of opportunity. Many don't even try to
evade detection.
***

So let's ask this question: have you or anybody you know ever been a
zero-day attack victim? Nope? Didn't think so.

***
Antimalware and antivirus using signature based methods must have
signatures. They get signatures when they get samples of malware, from
victims and intended victims, that they can analyze. If there were no
victims, the signature would not have been derived from analysis and
distributed to the scanners to protect us from it. The fact that you
don't know anyone afflicted is more a testament to the success of the
system than evidence that it is not needed.
***

From: Dustin Cook on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in

> In article <hoe7t9$umc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> philnblanc(a)comcast.net says...
>> I also am going to continue to urge people to turn theirs off when not
>> in use, and I urge you all to do the same - but NOT because it will
>> extend the life of the components.
>>

> If you consider the following:
>
> Your LCD monitor goes to sleep in XX minutes if not used
> Your Hard-Drive goes to sleep in XX minutes if not used
> Your CPU throttles down in XX minutes under no load
> Your case fans throttle down when the heat decreases
>
> If you use your computer for 12-16 hours per day, how much money does it
> save you over 1 year to turn it off for 8 hours per day?
>
> Do you actually know the power level difference when all of the power
> saving features, except suspend/hibernation, are used vs. turning the
> computer completely off?

A better question would be do they know how to check? :)

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: FromTheRafters on
"Peter" <pete.ivesAll_stRESS(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

[...]

> Recently, I was given a computer from a friend which had XP on it and
> my
> AVG was fine until yesterday, when it found what it said was spyware
> (a
> genuine file from bt called btwebcontrol.dll). Nothing wrong with it.
> They used to have BT broadband. It also found a file in the system
> restore which it categorised under the same virus name, which I am
> presuming is the exact same file, except it's just called
> A0000462.dll.
>
> 2 false positives. It seems these days AVG is finding files in system
> restore which it didn't have a problem with previously and I am happy
> accept are genuine files and not any kind of virus. Your logs seem to
> indicate the same habit from Kaspersky.

Actually, one false positive (on a...say...IBM Tools file) can, when the
delete action is performed, result in three copies now existing instead
of just the one. The AV in some cases will "delete" by adding the
special character (to the original), save a copy hidden (possibly
encrypted) in quarantine (just in case), and system restore will also
save a copy (just in case). So delete results in replication. :oD

From: Leythos on
In article <Xns9D45D1692C96AHHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.250>,
bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com says...

> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in
>
> > In article <hoe7t9$umc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > philnblanc(a)comcast.net says...
> >> I also am going to continue to urge people to turn theirs off when not
> >> in use, and I urge you all to do the same - but NOT because it will
> >> extend the life of the components.
> >>

> > If you consider the following:
> >
> > Your LCD monitor goes to sleep in XX minutes if not used
> > Your Hard-Drive goes to sleep in XX minutes if not used
> > Your CPU throttles down in XX minutes under no load
> > Your case fans throttle down when the heat decreases
> >
> > If you use your computer for 12-16 hours per day, how much money does it
> > save you over 1 year to turn it off for 8 hours per day?
> >
> > Do you actually know the power level difference when all of the power
> > saving features, except suspend/hibernation, are used vs. turning the
> > computer completely off?
>
> A better question would be do they know how to check? :)

Having used a amp probe to setup my generator system and transfer box, I
know almost exactly the low use, high use, and surge rating for every
circuit in my house based on the typical devices connected to any
feed....

I'm betting that most people that CLAIM the want to save power don't
have a clue, in reality, and just go by something posted on a blog
somewhere.

Trust yourself.