From: The Central Scrutinizer on
Can you guys just get a room or something :-)

From: Dustin Cook on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in

> In article <Xns9D46D2860D081HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.247>,
> bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com says...
>> Actually, I didn't say chip creep was an issue on soldered chips; If
>> you understood the principles behind chip creep in the first place
>> that wouldn't even be a question you'd consider... Chip creep only
>> applies to socketed chips.
>>

> While chip creep may only apply to socketed chips, I've seen chips,
> actually the pins, come unsoldered by hot/cold cycles. We had a real
> issue with that in the military in at one point.

I've seen finals in CB radios do it too, but that was usually do to
extensive usage and cold solder points to begin with.

From: RayLopez99 on
On Mar 26, 6:26 am, ToolPackinMama <philnbl...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> FromTheRafters wrote:
> > You need AV to guard against the off chance that you encounter a virus.
>
> In Windows, yes, AV is absolutely necessary.  Some people seem to be
> asserting that it is not necessary with Linux.  Is that true?

Well well stated question, and right on point, thank you.

Anybody in the Linux camp or otherwise care to answer ToolPackinMama ?

I can't hear you.

RL
From: RayLopez99 on
On Mar 26, 10:03 am, ToolPackinMama <philnbl...(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> I could pick any AV protected Windows PC at random and probably find
> malware active on it.  The oddity is finding one that isn't infected by
> something.

Nope. Not true. "could" sounds like metaphysics. something not
detected by AV sw does not exist.

I concede Linux is more secure "in theory", but "de facto" *with the
proper AV s/w in place*, Windows is just as secure *for those people
that are not clueless (i.e., not deliberately installing malware by
mistake or otherwise)*.

Hence my second thread, about comparing apples with apples. Actually
when you posed the question in your prior post I thought we were in
that newer thread.

RL
From: Lusotec on
ToolPackinMama wrote:
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>> You need AV to guard against the off chance that you encounter a virus.
>
> In Windows, yes, AV is absolutely necessary. Some people seem to be
> asserting that it is not necessary with Linux. Is that true?

There is little malware for GNU/Linux. Almost all is in the form of root
kits. The tools rkhunter and chkrootkit are used to hunt them.

The few virus that affected GNU/Linux are all inactive, and there are no
reports of new virus.

Security vulnerabilities in software, and the worms that exploit them are
another threat. For that, making regular updates, and using mandatory access
control are the best protections.

Users are the biggest propagation vector for malware, specifically torjans.
There is a prototype trojan for GNU/Linux that uses *.directory files, but
like all executable scripts/binaries, execute permission are required. This
alone, is a great way to prevent clueless users from running trojans.

Users that have enough knowledge to circumvent no exec file permissions and
go out of their way to run executables they received by email or downloaded
from the internet are a bigger problem. For that setting the noexec
parameter for the file systems the user can write to are a great way to stop
these users shooting them selfs.

Regards.