From: Leythos on
In article <tu3nq5ddq2q079cei1253olmfmpqnvu3a6(a)4ax.com>,
none(a)none.invalid says...

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:06:39 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <1dklq5pl1slkc856n8c2tu8t0fu14cet5e(a)4ax.com>,
> >none(a)none.invalid says...
> >>
> >> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:19:14 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
> >> wrote:
[snip]
> >> If you assume a power savings of 50 watts (low power state versus
off
> >> state) and a KWh cost of $.10, my back of the napkin calculation is
> >> just under $15 a year in savings. Obviously, the actual numbers will
> >> vary depending on the specific system and the local cost of power,
> >> causing the result to vary.
> >
> >Why would you make an "Assumption" instead of actually learning how much
> >your system is using?
>
> A better question would be why would you, or anyone else here, be the
> least bit interested in what *my* system is all about? The only thing
> that should be important to you is *your* system. I know about my
> system(s), but I don't have any information about yours, so you'll
> have to figure it out for yourself. My example should help get you
> started.

Maybe, just, maybe, you replied with "If you assume..." as part of your
reply... So, it's not that we really give a rats butt about your system,
just wondering why you "assumed" instead of actually checking?

Trust yourself.
From: Char Jackson on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:40:30 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
wrote:

>In article <tu3nq5ddq2q079cei1253olmfmpqnvu3a6(a)4ax.com>,
>none(a)none.invalid says...
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:06:39 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <1dklq5pl1slkc856n8c2tu8t0fu14cet5e(a)4ax.com>,
>> >none(a)none.invalid says...

>[snip]
>off
>> >
>> >Why would you make an "Assumption" instead of actually learning how much
>> >your system is using?
>>
>> A better question would be why would you, or anyone else here, be the
>> least bit interested in what *my* system is all about? The only thing
>> that should be important to you is *your* system. I know about my
>> system(s), but I don't have any information about yours, so you'll
>> have to figure it out for yourself. My example should help get you
>> started.
>
>Maybe, just, maybe, you replied with "If you assume..." as part of your
>reply... So, it's not that we really give a rats butt about your system,
>just wondering why you "assumed" instead of actually checking?

I don't think that would have helped, but your point is taken. :)

From: Leythos on
In article <tbcnq5his1cul60bin118vej8fdpk0upqo(a)4ax.com>,
none(a)none.invalid says...

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:40:30 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <tu3nq5ddq2q079cei1253olmfmpqnvu3a6(a)4ax.com>,
> >none(a)none.invalid says...

> >[snip]
> >off

> >> A better question would be why would you, or anyone else here, be the
> >> least bit interested in what *my* system is all about? The only thing
> >> that should be important to you is *your* system. I know about my
> >> system(s), but I don't have any information about yours, so you'll
> >> have to figure it out for yourself. My example should help get you
> >> started.
> >
> >Maybe, just, maybe, you replied with "If you assume..." as part of your
> >reply... So, it's not that we really give a rats butt about your system,
> >just wondering why you "assumed" instead of actually checking?
>
> I don't think that would have helped, but your point is taken. :)

I think it would have helped you to really assess your actual savings,
if you used real data.

My electric cost averages $0.16, but my power differential is so low
during off periods, like in your example, that the cost savings is
worthless to me - I waste more than $15/month on food I should not be
eating :-)

Trust yourself.
From: Char Jackson on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:09:00 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
wrote:

>In article <tbcnq5his1cul60bin118vej8fdpk0upqo(a)4ax.com>,
>none(a)none.invalid says...
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:40:30 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <tu3nq5ddq2q079cei1253olmfmpqnvu3a6(a)4ax.com>,
>> >none(a)none.invalid says...

>> >[snip]
>> >off

>> >Maybe, just, maybe, you replied with "If you assume..." as part of your
>> >reply... So, it's not that we really give a rats butt about your system,
>> >just wondering why you "assumed" instead of actually checking?
>>
>> I don't think that would have helped, but your point is taken. :)
>
>I think it would have helped you to really assess your actual savings,
>if you used real data.

I didn't feel it was necessary to populate the example with my own
actual savings. That's why I used such round numbers. In my own case,
I know what my usage, costs, and savings are, but again, I didn't
think it would be interesting to anyone else.

Besides, it wasn't my example to begin with. Wasn't it you who set the
initial parameters of "off 8 hours a day versus on 24/7"? I was just
putting sample numbers to that scenario.

>My electric cost averages $0.16, but my power differential is so low
>during off periods, like in your example, that the cost savings is
>worthless to me - I waste more than $15/month on food I should not be
>eating :-)

$15/month would be significant to some, but I only calculated
$15/year, so it really falls into the weeds. And yes, I too waste
money on stuff that isn't good for me. :)

From: The Central Scrutinizer on
"RayLopez99" <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
> (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
> commercial antivirus protection?

Of course.

> One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
> legion. But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
> get the impression such problems are rare.
>
> Who is more right?
>
> BTW, check out this PDF on AV software:
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEDInyvV2WgWDzeAWeAjzJKLymkDA
>
> It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
> catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
> about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
> seen one in the wild...

As I recall the comparatives example was for home solutions only. The
Corporate solutions may
be better namely as the configurations and options may be locked down (which
you do not have
for the average home user). The #1 concern causing problems either way is
users running with
local admin privs. AV does not do much good in those cases. Also the baddies
are creating new
versions of virus types and other malware that the companies can barely keep
up with.