From: Lusotec on
AZ Nomad wrote:
> RayLopez99 wrote:
>>Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
>>(including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
>>commercial antivirus protection?
>
> All the time. The first thing many types of malware do is disable
> the antivirus. It's trivially easy on windows where any process can
> overwrite any part of the system at any time.

I have seen a case of malware that disabled the antivirus (Avira), disabled
windows update, disabled access to antivirus web sites, and disabled the
administrator account (changed the password). Also, it was consuming
bandwidth like crazy.

Regards.

From: FromTheRafters on
"ToolPackinMama" <philnblanc(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> People I meet have many times asked me if they should shut their
> Windows computers off at night, and I always say, "Yes, keep your PC
> off unless you are using it."

Yep, same with the bathroom lights.

....and with the PC it becomes less accessible and thus less useful to
outsiders.

> I figure if it's off, an infected computer can do less damage.

It is best to ensure an infected computer is not connected to others.
Off is generally a good idea, but in some cases the "damage" can be done
by your turning it off.

> Somebody out there keeps advising people that it's "better for the
> computer" to leave it on all the time.

That argument goes back and forth. Mostly it is wear and tear due to
thermal expansion/contraction, and motor startup surges cited. It's
true, but it's less true than it used to be.

> If you are one of the people that is doing that, stop doing that. A
> computer is not a refrigerator: the data won't go bad if the power is
> off.

I even poweroff my laptop rather than let it sleep or hibernate.

> Please, guys and gals, urge your friends and customers to turn the
> computers off when they are not using them... unless there is a
> compelling reason to do otherwise.

Most everybody I know does already. :o\

> I don't think it's too extreme to ask people to remain unconnected
> from the net unless they are actively sending/receiving. A person
> doesn't have to be connected to compose an email, only to send it.

Well, I connect to the LAN and the WAN at the same time. Actually, the
cable company owns the equipment and it is (nearly) always on.

From: Dustin Cook on
RayLopez99 <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote in

Here's an example of how code could get on a normal user (who is logged in
with administrator rights) without the user actually being responsible for
it.

http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2010/mfsa2010-08.html

Btw, All firefox users should probably go ahead and update if you haven't
already.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior