From: Peter on
In article <20100323095210.57062146(a)maxa>, bmaxa(a)hotmail.com says...
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:51:55 -0700 (PDT)
> RayLopez99 <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
> > catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
> > about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
> > seen one in the wild...
>
> Hm, download http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads,
> make virtual machine file, install os.
> Make backup of file.
> Surf the interent in virtual machine.
> After serf, erase virtual machine file. Restore from backup.
> Rinse and repeat. No need for AV at all ;)

Have you heard of the expression, 'Using a sledgehammer to crack a
nut.'?

--
Pete Ives
From: Leythos on
In article <8d9a4f53-14ac-40a3-9cb4-105fb0e08a00
@g11g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...

> Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
> (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
> commercial antivirus protection?
>
> One of the claims of the Linux crowd is that such problems are
> legion. But talking so some of the people at alt.comp.anti-virus I
> get the impression such problems are rare.
>
> Who is more right?
>
> BTW, check out this PDF on AV software:
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEDInyvV2WgWDzeAWeAjzJKLymkDA
>
> It compares 16 commercial programs, and finds Microsoft at #2,
> catching 60% of all viruses (Avanti is #1 at 70%). And we're taking
> about all viruses, some of which as so obscure I'm sure you'll never
> seen one in the wild...
>
> RL

In the 30+ years I've been working with computers I've had exactly 1
malware on a computer that I own or manage for clients - that's
thousands of workstations and hundreds of servers over that time.

In the case of the 1 malware, the machine was not secured, was basically
behind a NAT, using Local Admin, and was running Symantec End Point
Protection 11.0.4 (or 11.4.0, can't remember) - the malware gained
complete control of the machine in seconds after being redirected to a
malicious website.

I switched to Avira Antivir and connected to the same website and the
malware was blocked - I have moved myself and clients to Avira and not
had any infections.

We test with 5 malware scanners monthly.

Trust yourself.
From: BluesBoy on
I have to run Win7 @ work. At home I run Opensuse 11.2. I have run Linux
@ home since 1998. I have never had a virus or malware take down a linux
system. However, on my job I clean literally dozens of infected M$
machines weekly. Some of them are pretty nasty too. So far, I haven't
gotten my work machine infected . . . so far . . .

We try to convince our customers to lock down their users to help limit
their rate of infection but they usually don't take our suggestions. Users
with administrator rights exacerbate the virus/malware problems. Although,
a machine can be infected with a user limited to "user" level access, the
infection is usually much less severe and easier to clean up. Anyway,
malware/viruses are a M$ fact of life and I've just gotten used to dealing
with it. . . . Helps "pay the rent" too . . . heh!

BB

From: Little Charlie on
That AV data is very nearly a FULL YEAR OLD coming from May 2009.
Their most recent test data on that site is FEB 2010.

However to answer your question YES...I have seen malware blocked here
as recently as yesterday in a zipped archive. My PC was infected once
years ago with Spanska4250 virus...that was about 20 years ago. The fact
that Linux boxes are less infected is in part because Linux boxes make
up less then 1 % of the world wide installed base of PCs. They also
have a more secure default user environment which is to their credit.

Just yesterday I burned the Ubuntu v10 beta 1 CD and 'played around'
with it just from the CD w/o installing. It was interesting but I cannot
see revamping my already smooth running Windows 7 system to (supposedly)
obtain a different breed (Linux) of smooth running operating system just
for alleged AV advantages. The real difference I'll never switch to a
Linux box is availability of truly great software..not just so-called
Linux "equivalent' stuff which is NOT nearly as good.

Little Charlie's Blues Pages
http://www.soundclick.com/LittleCharlie

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per RayLopez99:
>Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
>(including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
>commercial antivirus protection?

Yes but....

The AV popped it's "Warning" dialog on an incoming email message,
*but* the user did not heed that dialog and took the trouble to
click whatever button told the AV to ignore the virus instead of
clicking the default button which told the AV to delete the
virus.
--
PeteCresswell