From: BluesBoy on
<snip>

> How can you possibly be cleaning at least one nasty every month?
>
> We don't buy it. Name the last virus you cleaned up.
>
> RL

That sounds outlandish to me too. Must be doing some things wrong. The
only time I ever got a virus on one of my windows PCs was back when I had
win3.11 and got some fonts off of a shareware CD. The version of Norton I
had at the time found it and cleaned it fine. I have never had any of my
personal PCs infected since. Of course I have run Linux since '98 on my
primary workstation. Although, I always have some win PCs around as well
and use windows at work.

BB
From: Leythos on
In article <cad6a78e-edab-4aa9-bc31-b0e03f6ce298
@o30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...
> Anybody else? So far nobody has proved a serious true virus infection
> has occurred on a Windows machine.

Sorry, you're wrong - seen it many times, many. One of the worst I saw
was a malware spread via Yahoo Instant Messenger that contained a SMTP
engine. This happened at a sorority, in about 30 minutes 45 computers
were compromised as it spread to each of their lists....

The ISP saw it also, they turned off their internet connection in under
2 hours because of all the spam containing malware that their machines
were sending out.

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <d3e7e841-da07-457e-8b0a-98a065269cb5
@f8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...
> YES! I believe you Conor. This is exactly what I suspected. Sure,
> if you ignore all the warnings from your AV software, and click
> through them, yes you can install a virus on your system. That's
> axiomatic.

What about all of the compromised computers, Windows computer, that had
Office Business Contact Manager installed and were not secured - BCM
includes SQL server and when the PC is connected directly to the
internet it can easily be compromised without triggering an AV event.

Trust yourself.
From: BluesBoy on

> But so far nobody has proved that viruses are a serious problem in
> Windows.
>
> RL

The serious problem I see in regard to viruses in Windows is USERS! 'nuff
said! Those same LAZY users would not enjoy Linux one bit. But, like I
said, it pays the rent!

BB
From: Leythos on
In article <2b3461cc-d2b5-46c0-9fa3-32fd26e1418a@
33g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...

> On Mar 23, 10:22 pm, Leythos <spam999f...(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>

> > Sorry, you're wrong - seen it many times, many. One of the worst I saw
> > was a malware spread via Yahoo Instant Messenger that contained a SMTP
> > engine. This happened at a sorority, in about 30 minutes 45 computers
> > were compromised as it spread to each of their lists....
>
> OK, fine. The "one of the worse" examples was spread through Yahoo
> IM. I don't use that program. Nor do most people who do serious
> work. So yes, some teens who use IM and who may or may not practice
> Safe Hex (which is simply using an AV program in Windows), got
> infected. Shame, but it proves nothing.

RL, you seem to be a combative personality type based on your posts.

Many people that do REAL work use IM all over the planet, many
development teams, support teams, etc...

What you seem to be missing is the concept of how malware is spread on
windows machines - exploits and social engineering as well as drive-by
web attacks. Like many malware spread via IM, Facebook, email, they all
appear to be legit attachments, files, links, until you inspect them and
for most people that's too late.

I've already proven that having an Antivirus solution doesn't protect
you in all cases. We've all, at least those of us that run IT companies,
have seen exploits get past "Local User" accounts, such as the SQL
injection ones....

So, running as a local user, with any version of anti-virus software
from any vendor, all patches installed from MS, I've seen, first hand,
hundreds of Windows WP and now Vista/Win 7 computers compromised.

Oh, and most of those computers were not using IM, didn't even have it
installed.

As I've said, you seem to be a combative type person and you don't want
to learn from those of us that have real-world, decades of experience
doing this.

Trust yourself.