From: Leythos on
In article <c2cd7ff1-b408-4206-b92d-111ea1bf090c@
30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...

> On Mar 23, 10:24 pm, Leythos <spam999f...(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>
> > What about all of the compromised computers, Windows computer, that had
> > Office Business Contact Manager installed and were not secured - BCM
> > includes SQL server and when the PC is connected directly to the
> > internet it can easily be compromised without triggering an AV event.
>
> Well that does sound problematic. Trouble is, a brief Google search
> found nothing... If you can find a cite, it might make your point,
> but otherwise I'm afraid I have to classify this as Urban Legend.
>
> Anybody else?

HA HA HA - and yet it just about shutdown internet use for days in many
locations.

You really didn't look very long or hard, it's one of the largest events
in the history of the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_slammer_%28computer_worm%29

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <446fb1dd-34ac-4d8f-ac67-b410429567e2
@q21g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...

> On Mar 24, 12:20 am, Leythos <spam999f...(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
> > In article <2b3461cc-d2b5-46c0-9fa3-32fd26e1418a@
> > 33g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, raylope...(a)gmail.com says...
> >

> > RL, you seem to be a combative personality type based on your posts.
> >

> Projection noted.
>
> > Many people that do REAL work use IM all over the planet, many
> > development teams, support teams, etc...
>
> I suppose if you are in sales. Development teams? Why? Except for
> group online meetings, and even, then (Skype video is better) I would
> think email is better...but perhaps you're right.
>

> > What you seem to be missing is the concept of how malware is spread on
> > windows machines - exploits and social engineering as well as drive-by
> > web attacks. Like many malware spread via IM, Facebook, email, they all
> > appear to be legit attachments, files, links, until you inspect them and
> > for most people that's too late.
>
> Fine. THEORY. Give me a real work EXAMPLE Leythos.
>

> > I've already proven
>
> HA HA HA. A comedian. A combative comedian. Andrew Dice Clay your
> show name?
>

> > that having an Antivirus solution doesn't protect
> > you in all cases. We've all, at least those of us that run IT companies,
> > have seen exploits get past "Local User" accounts, such as the SQL
> > injection ones....
>
> BU LL S H IT. Now you've become the "Rex Ballard" of C.O.L.A. SQL
> injection attacks are ancient history and obsolete, due to the way
> commands are entered, parametrically, in ADO.NET (Windows database
> language). I know, as I code. Any other falsehoods you care to
> share?
>

> > So, running as a local user, with any version of anti-virus software
> > from any vendor, all patches installed from MS, I've seen, first hand,
> > hundreds of Windows WP and now Vista/Win 7 computers compromised.
>
> Nope. You have not seen. What you've seen (and I've seen this too) is
> a corporation get infected because a user installed a virus by
> mistake, and sent it around to co-workers (typically via email) who
> did not have the latest AV patches installed on their machines.
> Corporations use old hardware and software and are often behind the
> times in Safe Hex.
>

> > Oh, and most of those computers were not using IM, didn't even have it
> > installed.
> >

> Oh, really? Oh. Doubtful. How did they get infected then?

Based on your cross posting changes, your inability to comprehend real
issues and their causes, I can only assume that you're trolling.

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <dd7648cf-d514-4fca-a6ed-bd1d6efb7410
@b7g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...

> On Mar 24, 12:26 am, Leythos <spam999f...(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>
> > HA HA HA - and yet it just about shutdown internet use for days in many
> > locations.
> >
> > You really didn't look very long or hard, it's one of the largest events
> > in the history of the internet.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_slammer_%28computer_worm%29
>

> Proves my point: a zero day attack and when did this happen? 05:30
> UTC on January 25, 2003.
>
> Ancient history, like your name.
>
> Goodbye Leythos (sounds Greek to me!)

I see you've graduated to troll status.

Trust yourself.
From: Peter on
In article <0e0f17c7-572c-4f3f-a85c-
7a42a361cf89(a)d27g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, rex.ballard(a)gmail.com
says...
> On Mar 23, 3:51�am, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
> > (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
> > commercial antivirus protection?
>
> Bagel, Sky, and several others have variants that can disable actual
> virus checking and/or quarantine measures without letting the user
> know they have been disabled. Fixing things that have been corrupted
> this way can be very ugly.
>
> I've had at least a dozen viruses over the last 10 years that have
> been so difficult to remove or did such damage that I eventually had
> to re-image the hard drive.

In my experience with Windows, the only reason I would have to re-
install because of a virus infection would be if I couldn't get into the
O/S at all. Either normally or in safe mode. Even then you can remove
the HD and scan it from another machine to see if it is actually a virus
prevent startup or some other problem. If you can get into the O/S you
can get rid of any virus. Period.

Virii have a source. A point of origin when the computer starts.
Eliminate the start point or points from running and the virus becomes
dormant and you can then remove it without it putting itself back on
your system.

--
Pete Ives
From: Leythos on
In article <05473c52-e486-4f1b-83ab-744749e460b6
@k13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...

> On Mar 24, 1:52 pm, Leythos <spam999f...(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>

> > > Ancient history, like your name.
> >
> > > Goodbye Leythos (sounds Greek to me!)
> >
> > I see you've graduated to troll status.
> >

> Who cares? You like attribution it seems--so if you're American you
> voted against Obama because he's black? And you know the stats about
> blacks...crimes and stuff.
>
> Troll or not, my points stand. Your 'point' is on your head. Quit
> reading the signature line and start reading the content of the post.

Your point is lost because you ignore ALL of the people that have
responded with first hand examples countering your position.

That you've resorted to attacks and cross-posting is another sign that
you've lost your position.

Trust yourself.