From: FromTheRafters on
"Peter" <pete.ivesAll_stRESS(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <0e0f17c7-572c-4f3f-a85c-
> 7a42a361cf89(a)d27g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, rex.ballard(a)gmail.com
> says...
>> On Mar 23, 3:51 am, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Seriously, has anybody seen--or even heard--of a serious virus
>> > (including rootkit or malware) problem in Windows when using
>> > commercial antivirus protection?
>>
>> Bagel, Sky, and several others have variants that can disable actual
>> virus checking and/or quarantine measures without letting the user
>> know they have been disabled. Fixing things that have been corrupted
>> this way can be very ugly.
>>
>> I've had at least a dozen viruses over the last 10 years that have
>> been so difficult to remove or did such damage that I eventually had
>> to re-image the hard drive.
>>

> In my experience with Windows, the only reason I would have to re-
> install because of a virus infection would be if I couldn't get into
> the
> O/S at all. Either normally or in safe mode.

You don't need "the OS" to affect the files on the suspect disk. You
need "an OS" of sorts. Boot to an alternate OS that supports the file
system structure (CD, USB, many modern BIOSs support USB booting). Scan
infectable files for virus signatures.

> Even then you can remove
> the HD and scan it from another machine to see if it is actually a
> virus
> prevent startup or some other problem. If you can get into the O/S
> you
> can get rid of any virus. Period.

Unless the suspect computer's hardware (firmware) is suspect, there is
no need (and complications can arise from hosting two versions of NTFS
on a system).

> Virii have a source. A point of origin when the computer starts.

Virii is the wrong term, and viruses can start when one of their hosts
is invoked.

> Eliminate the start point or points from running and the virus becomes
> dormant and you can then remove it without it putting itself back on
> your system.

Yes, it can be a waste of time trying to fight an active malware
infestation. Stop the process(es) - then remove the files and reverse
the data changes. In a sense, the difference between a worm and a virus
is that the worm instantiates its replicant. The virus *might* execute,
but the worm *will* execute. My point being that the virus need not make
any provision for its replicant to be executed in turn (no startup
mechanism other than the chance a host will be invoked).

From: Char Jackson on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:25:29 GMT, Dustin Cook
<bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I did a service call this afternoon, modern cable modem
>install. The customer declined (yep!) the free router included and opted
>to plug directly into the cable modem via USB instead of the NIC card.
>The customer contacted me due to a "virus" issue they sustained about 3
>hours after going online.
>
>It was a bootlegged windows XP pro system with no service pack; and this
>is the funniest part, actually using the original blacklisted key; which
>is why it had no service packs....Plugged directly into the cable modem,
>bypassing any benefits the router would have offered them (they're
>rebranded linksys routers), slower speed, and a nice antivirus2010XP
>infection.
>
>I removed the problem, fixed the system up as best as I could; and
>explained how to keep himself a little safer. As the customer is
>unwilling to obtain a legitimate copy of windows, I explained that either
>myself would be back or you'd be calling another person, but either way,
>your going to pay for the problems of a non updatable copy of windows.

I've seen more than my share of non-legitimate XP installations, but
I've never seen one that wasn't updatable via Service Packs and
security patches. If the system wasn't able to be updated, I doubt it
was because of the license status.

From: Dustin Cook on
Char Jackson <none(a)none.invalid> wrote in

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:25:29 GMT, Dustin Cook
> <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I did a service call this afternoon, modern cable modem
>>install. The customer declined (yep!) the free router included and
>>opted to plug directly into the cable modem via USB instead of the NIC
>>card. The customer contacted me due to a "virus" issue they sustained
>>about 3 hours after going online.
>>
>>It was a bootlegged windows XP pro system with no service pack; and
>>this is the funniest part, actually using the original blacklisted
>>key; which is why it had no service packs....Plugged directly into the
>>cable modem, bypassing any benefits the router would have offered them
>>(they're rebranded linksys routers), slower speed, and a nice
>>antivirus2010XP infection.
>>
>>I removed the problem, fixed the system up as best as I could; and
>>explained how to keep himself a little safer. As the customer is
>>unwilling to obtain a legitimate copy of windows, I explained that
>>either myself would be back or you'd be calling another person, but
>>either way, your going to pay for the problems of a non updatable copy
>>of windows.
>
> I've seen more than my share of non-legitimate XP installations, but
> I've never seen one that wasn't updatable via Service Packs and
> security patches. If the system wasn't able to be updated, I doubt it
> was because of the license status.

Sigh, sorry jack.. No cigar for you. It's a known fact (look it up!) that
certain VLK keys (which is what it actually is) are infact, blacklisted
and you cannot apply a later service pack which is aware of the key if
your using one. Any, servicepacks that is which are aware of the
blacklisted key. As the original SP1 is no longer available (it's 1a now)
that includes.. well, all of them.

Essentially, any system that informs you it's counterfeit may or may not
allow you to reinstall; say.. SP3. Sadly tho, this guy as I said used the
original bad boy VLK key which started it all. Service packs since v1a
know this key and will not allow you to install them. In fact, your shown
a nice screen about the disadvantages of pirating software and offered
ways to contact microsoft to resolve this issue.

Resolving means, reinstalling Windows; as you have a VLK edition and
short of having done the VLK licensing, you aren't supposed to have this
version. The VLK windows are not OEM nor are they retail...

They are a modified OEM, with a specialized key which does not ever
require activation. It's to make life easier for some...

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Dustin Cook on

> I'll take your word for it since I don't know where you'd like me to
> "look it up!". All I can say is that I have *never* seen an XP system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

And I quote: "
Product key testing

In addition to activation, Windows XP service packs will refuse to
install on Windows XP systems with product keys known to be widely used
in unauthorized installations.

Like I said in my previous response to you, I've been in the PC field for
a very long time. I was A+ certified when it was still a "cool" thing to
waste money on.

I used wikipedia for the first link convenience only. You can find the
same information on the laborinth of MS website. They're proud of that ..
ehh, feature actually.

> Are you sure you aren't confusing Service Packs and security updates
> with being able to visit Windows Update and browsing through the
> available updates that way?

Are you sure you should be repairing peoples PCs and charging them for
your clear lack of knowledge on the subject? Seriously, how long have you
been fixing computers professionally? I know halfwits who are aware of
the blacklisted key issue with VLK (sometimes wrongly referred to as
"corporate" copies of windows) and you don't?

You critize me claiming I must have done something incorrectly; yet...
the machine was using the original FCKGW key; short of changing that key
for the client (which I cannot do for ethical reasons) they are indeed,
fucked. No two ways about it. No service packs, nada.. Not going to
happen for them. Without atleast SP2 I think it is now, you can't even
get critical updates.

From: Peter on
In article <7e8e38d3-ebf3-439a-96ad-
d60f4b46bde8(a)g28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, rex.ballard(a)gmail.com
says...
> On Mar 24, 7:55�am, Peter <pete.ivesAll_stR...(a)blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > In article <0e0f17c7-572c-4f3f-a85c-
> > 7a42a361c...(a)d27g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, rex.ball...(a)gmail.com
> > says...
> > > On Mar 23, 3:51�am, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Virii have a source. A point of origin when the computer starts. �
> > Eliminate the start point or points from running and the virus becomes
> > dormant and you can then remove it without it putting itself back on
> > your system.
>
> That isn't always the case. Sky, Bagel, and BugBear not only keep
> reinstalling theselves, they also disable the antivirus AND keep it
> from letting you know that it's not working.

Why would you resort to trusting your virus software when checking for
if the O/S is infected with a virus? That's only used to catch a virus
and prevent infection in the first place. Chances are, if your machine
is already infected your AV ain't going to put it right. You're going
to have to use other methods to get it removed and only get the AV
running once the machine is not running infected.

If I suspect a machine to be infected I'm not going to rely on my AV to
root it out. I'm going to check manually for it in the known startup
areas of windows. I'm going to look and see what's currently running to
determine if there's anything that shouldn't be there and stop it. Once
I've tracked down the suspected startup processes I'm going to stop them
from running when the computer starts. Ok, sometimes this can take
time, but eventually it CAN be done.

How can Sky, Bagle and Bugbear keep reinstalling themselves if they're
not running. Admittedly, I was a little quick with my previous post.
If windows system files have become infected you may have no other
course of action but to replace them with known good files. Dependent
on how many files this is, it may require the system files to be
overwritten by some kind of repair install.

--
Pete Ives