From: liquidator on

"Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
> On 01/02/2010 01:37, in article hk5b8p$omk$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> "liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:
>
> (...)
>> The Canon is an older unit, kinda bulky but all kinds of flexibilty.
>> They
>> were real popular with the local cable companies for "public access"
>>
>> I would like to find something newer with the same capablities but
>> everything I have seen is several thousand. I just don't wanna spend that
>> on
>> a hobby.
>
> You wont find anything under a couple thousand. The usual suspects in that
> field are the Sony Z1, EX1 and PD170. The Canon GL1 and XL1 are not as
> often
> seen but should work as well. Panasonic have also got a couple of
> worthwhile
> models, but I always forget the model numbers. Any other brand: forget it.
> Also: tape is nearly dead, it's all done on cards these days.
>
> --
> Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

And experience with the GL2?

Apparently it will record to either tape or card, there are a bunch of used
ones on Amazon so I would have a return privelege...

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MiniDV-Digital-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B00006FXHQ

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 01/02/2010 16:48, in article hk70le$fgt$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
"liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:

> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>> On 01/02/2010 01:37, in article hk5b8p$omk$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> "liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>> The Canon is an older unit, kinda bulky but all kinds of flexibilty.
>>> They
>>> were real popular with the local cable companies for "public access"
>>>
>>> I would like to find something newer with the same capablities but
>>> everything I have seen is several thousand. I just don't wanna spend that
>>> on
>>> a hobby.
>>
>> You wont find anything under a couple thousand. The usual suspects in that
>> field are the Sony Z1, EX1 and PD170. The Canon GL1 and XL1 are not as
>> often
>> seen but should work as well. Panasonic have also got a couple of
>> worthwhile
>> models, but I always forget the model numbers. Any other brand: forget it.
>> Also: tape is nearly dead, it's all done on cards these days.
>>
>> --
>> Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com
>>

> And experience with the GL2?
>
> Apparently it will record to either tape or card, there are a bunch of used
> ones on Amazon so I would have a return privelege...
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MiniDV-Digital-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B00006FXHQ

No first hand experience, no.

But AFAIK it uses the SD card slot only for still photos, video it records
on MiniDV tape.

What I meant with cards are P2 cards (Panasonic) or SxS cards (Sony).

By the way: I remembered the model number of the Panasonic: HVX200.

And also by the way: if you're not into HD or complex post-production,
MiniDV could still be a viable option for you. It's not anymore in
broadcast, but then that's mayebe not what you're after.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com