From: liquidator on
I want to do some live taping of shows. Mostly fo fun, anything usable that
could be given to local entertainment stations would be gravy.

Have been offered a very clean used Canon GL-1 which I know is a bit old,
but has a good rep.

Anybody ever used one? Or could recommend a pr0sumer unit that isn't gonna
cost me a second mortgage?

I could part with a grand, shedding a few tears in the process, but doable.
Much more than that I'd probably just find a cheaper hobby.

From: Tim Perry on

"liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote in message
>I want to do some live taping of shows. Mostly fo fun, anything usable that
>could be given to local entertainment stations would be gravy.
>
> Have been offered a very clean used Canon GL-1 which I know is a bit old,
> but has a good rep.
>
> Anybody ever used one? Or could recommend a pr0sumer unit that isn't gonna
> cost me a second mortgage?
>
> I could part with a grand, shedding a few tears in the process, but
> doable. Much more than that I'd probably just find a cheaper hobby.

I picked up a Zoom Q3. Its quick easy and cheap. If you can put up with its
limitations it does pretty good video and stereo audio. the Gotcha is not
all flash cards work with it... only certain models.

From: liquidator on

"Tim Perry" <timperry(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in message

> "liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote in message
>>I want to do some live taping of shows. Mostly fo fun, anything usable
>>that could be given to local entertainment stations would be gravy.
>>
>> Have been offered a very clean used Canon GL-1 which I know is a bit
>> old, but has a good rep.
>>
>> Anybody ever used one? Or could recommend a pr0sumer unit that isn't
>> gonna cost me a second mortgage?
>>
>> I could part with a grand, shedding a few tears in the process, but
>> doable. Much more than that I'd probably just find a cheaper hobby.
>>

> I picked up a Zoom Q3. Its quick easy and cheap. If you can put up with
> its limitations it does pretty good video and stereo audio. the Gotcha is
> not all flash cards work with it... only certain models.

Looks interesting...I was kind looking for a pro-sumer unit that can take a
line in so I could run a feed from the board if I wanted.

The Zoom looks like a handy second unit to have.

The Canon is an older unit, kinda bulky but all kinds of flexibilty. They
were real popular with the local cable companies for "public access"

I would like to find something newer with the same capablities but
everything I have seen is several thousand. I just don't wanna spend that on
a hobby.

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 01/02/2010 01:37, in article hk5b8p$omk$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
"liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:

(...)
> The Canon is an older unit, kinda bulky but all kinds of flexibilty. They
> were real popular with the local cable companies for "public access"
>
> I would like to find something newer with the same capablities but
> everything I have seen is several thousand. I just don't wanna spend that on
> a hobby.

You wont find anything under a couple thousand. The usual suspects in that
field are the Sony Z1, EX1 and PD170. The Canon GL1 and XL1 are not as often
seen but should work as well. Panasonic have also got a couple of worthwhile
models, but I always forget the model numbers. Any other brand: forget it.
Also: tape is nearly dead, it's all done on cards these days.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> "Tim Perry" <timperry(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote in message
>>>I want to do some live taping of shows. Mostly fo fun, anything usable
>>>that could be given to local entertainment stations would be gravy.
>>>
>>> Have been offered a very clean used Canon GL-1 which I know is a bit
>>> old, but has a good rep.
>>>
>>> Anybody ever used one? Or could recommend a pr0sumer unit that isn't
>>> gonna cost me a second mortgage?
>>>
>>> I could part with a grand, shedding a few tears in the process, but
>>> doable. Much more than that I'd probably just find a cheaper hobby.
>>>

>> I picked up a Zoom Q3. Its quick easy and cheap. If you can put up with
>> its limitations it does pretty good video and stereo audio. the Gotcha is
>> not all flash cards work with it... only certain models.
>>

> Looks interesting...I was kind looking for a pro-sumer unit that can take
> a line in so I could run a feed from the board if I wanted.
>
> The Zoom looks like a handy second unit to have.
>
> The Canon is an older unit, kinda bulky but all kinds of flexibilty. They
> were real popular with the local cable companies for "public access"
>
> I would like to find something newer with the same capablities but
> everything I have seen is several thousand. I just don't wanna spend that
> on a hobby.
I outfitted my video set with panasonic wv-3's
yes tube cameras from the 80's
wonderful units cost less than 200$ each with ziess lenses
george