From: Dave on
I am trying to setup to Virtual PC's one running Win 2008 wich works great,
can set a static IP address using the Internal Network. When I install Win
2008 (32 bit) Server Core and set as Internal Network I get the 169.254.0.16
address. But if I set the network card to use my wireless I get a DHCP
address from my wireless router. So I'm thinking I need to install the
Integration Components for the network adapter, but I cannot get it
installed. I do not see the Integration Components on the Win 2008 CD and I
only see it listed under the Virtual PC directory which when I install just
rolls back the install.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Dave
From: Bill Grant on
That is to be expected. From an internal network you can only see other
vms. You cannot see machines on the physical network. You need to use a
virtual network linked to a physical NIC in the host to see machines on your
LAN (and your DHCP server).

What do you want the vm to communicate with? If you want it to
communicate with other vms, give them all static IPs in the same IP subnet.
If you want it to communicate with physical machines, link it to a physical
NIC and let it get its IP config from DHCP.

Integration Components are for Hyper-V, not WVPC.

From: Robert Comer on
> Integration Components are for Hyper-V, not WVPC.

It's actually called "Integration Components" for WVPC too, though they are
most certainly different than the Hyper-V ones...

--
Bob Comer

From: Bill Grant on
Thanks Bob. You're right of course. I think the problem is probably Server
Core in the vm. Clicking on the "Install Integration Components" will mount
the iso in the guest, but I am not sure that Core knows what to do with it.

Have you ever tried this? I gave up on Core during the beta! I can't cope
without the GUI.

From: Robert Comer on
>You're right of course. I think the problem is probably Server Core in the
>vm. Clicking on the "Install Integration Components" will mount the iso in
>the guest, but I am not sure that Core knows what to do with it.

I don't think it has anything like autorun on core, so you'd have to start
it manually, but I could be mistaken. There's no synthetic NIC in WVPC so
the integration components wont help with any networking problem.

> Have you ever tried this? I gave up on Core during the beta! I can't
> cope without the GUI.

Nope, never tried it. The closest I've been was running the free hyper-V
Server for a bit. I much prefer a GUI myself!

--

> Thanks Bob. You're right of course. I think the problem is probably
> Server Core in the vm. Clicking on the "Install Integration Components"
> will mount the iso in the guest, but I am not sure that Core knows what to
> do with it.
>
> Have you ever tried this? I gave up on Core during the beta! I can't
> cope without the GUI.
>

> "Robert Comer" <bobcomer-removeme-(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> Integration Components are for Hyper-V, not WVPC.
>>
>> It's actually called "Integration Components" for WVPC too, though they
>> are most certainly different than the Hyper-V ones...
>>
>> --
>> Bob Comer
>>

>> "Bill Grant" <not.available(a)online> wrote in message
>>> That is to be expected. From an internal network you can only see other
>>> vms. You cannot see machines on the physical network. You need to use a
>>> virtual network linked to a physical NIC in the host to see machines on
>>> your LAN (and your DHCP server).
>>>
>>> What do you want the vm to communicate with? If you want it to
>>> communicate with other vms, give them all static IPs in the same IP
>>> subnet. If you want it to communicate with physical machines, link it to
>>> a physical NIC and let it get its IP config from DHCP.
>>>
>>> Integration Components are for Hyper-V, not WVPC.
>>>

>>> "Dave" <Dave(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Opening webpage in virtual pc
Next: Expand a vhd