From: Chris Davies on
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:
> It is indeed ESX. But, it's not backups that are causing it, unless
> someone changed something yesterday without telling me.

OK. Worth checking, though.

As suggested earlier, check the ethernet MAC addresses across all
the boxes:

/sbin/ifconfig | grep HW

The HWaddr value *must* be unique across your LAN, so if you have two
(or more) boxes with the same 6-tuple you have a problem.

Chris
From: D.M. Procida on
Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:

> D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:
> > It is indeed ESX. But, it's not backups that are causing it, unless
> > someone changed something yesterday without telling me.
>
> OK. Worth checking, though.

It's not the backups, we checked today.

Irritatingly, it was fine all day today at work, and now that I'm at
home it has just done it again.

I suspect a networking issue, and that something on our huge network is
coming on with a conflicting IP address, or perhaps MAC address.

> As suggested earlier, check the ethernet MAC addresses across all
> the boxes:
>
> /sbin/ifconfig | grep HW
>
> The HWaddr value *must* be unique across your LAN, so if you have two
> (or more) boxes with the same 6-tuple you have a problem.

We'll continue with that tomorrow.

As I'm on a Mac, I don't have full access to the remote tools that the
Windows users have.

Daniele
From: alexd on
On 26/04/10 19:42, D.M. Procida wrote:

> I suspect a networking issue, and that something on our huge network is
> coming on with a conflicting IP address, or perhaps MAC address.

Try subnetting it. Failing that, arpwatch should let you know if
something is amiss.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
20:57:23 up 17 days, 10:27, 0 users, load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.10
From: Chris Davies on
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:
> As I'm on a Mac, I don't have full access to the remote tools that the
> Windows users have.

If you've got someone to follow this though, that's great. If not,
consider running something like arpwatch on one of your linux boxes that
/isn't/ having the problem. (This will log all ethernet/IP address pairs,
and flag up any that change or are duplicated.)

Chris
From: D.M. Procida on
Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:

> D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:
> > As I'm on a Mac, I don't have full access to the remote tools that the
> > Windows users have.
>
> If you've got someone to follow this though, that's great. If not,
> consider running something like arpwatch on one of your linux boxes that
> /isn't/ having the problem. (This will log all ethernet/IP address pairs,
> and flag up any that change or are duplicated.)

All ethernet/IP address pairs from where? The entire network? Or just
the system affected?

Daniele
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4