From: Robert Peirce on
I am having trouble with this. What works from terminal and Mail.app
doesn't work for this. I could use some help.

I have the following E-Mail Settings:

Enable E-mail Alerts on
Send E-mail Alerts when a situation is important
To root(a)local.peirce-family.com
From root(a)local.peirce-family.com
Seerver 127.0.0.1
Port 110 [taken from Mail.app]
Authentication on
Username root
Password XXXXXXXX

I use Qpopper to send local mail. When I send a test E-mail, I get a
panel that says:

+OK Qpopper (version 4.0.19) at robert-peirces-computer.local starting.

This implies the test mail is being sent but it is being dropped
somewhere.
From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <bob-48FA44.09190310062010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
Robert Peirce <bob(a)peirce-family.com> wrote:

> I am having trouble with this. What works from terminal and Mail.app
> doesn't work for this. I could use some help.
>
> I have the following E-Mail Settings:
>
> Enable E-mail Alerts on
> Send E-mail Alerts when a situation is important
> To root(a)local.peirce-family.com
> From root(a)local.peirce-family.com
> Seerver 127.0.0.1
> Port 110 [taken from Mail.app]
> Authentication on
> Username root
> Password XXXXXXXX
>
> I use Qpopper to send local mail. When I send a test E-mail, I get a
> panel that says:
>
> +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.19) at robert-peirces-computer.local starting.
>
> This implies the test mail is being sent but it is being dropped
> somewhere.

Port 110 is usually POP, which is for receiving mail. Mail is sent
using SMTP, which is usually port 25.
From: Robert Peirce on
In article <4c11b3e3$0$22169$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie(a)pixelmemory.us> wrote:

> In article <bob-48FA44.09190310062010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
> Robert Peirce <bob(a)peirce-family.com> wrote:
>
> > I am having trouble with this. What works from terminal and Mail.app
> > doesn't work for this. I could use some help.
> >
> > I have the following E-Mail Settings:
> >
> > Enable E-mail Alerts on
> > Send E-mail Alerts when a situation is important
> > To root(a)local.peirce-family.com
> > From root(a)local.peirce-family.com
> > Seerver 127.0.0.1
> > Port 110 [taken from Mail.app]
> > Authentication on
> > Username root
> > Password XXXXXXXX
> >
> > I use Qpopper to send local mail. When I send a test E-mail, I get a
> > panel that says:
> >
> > +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.19) at robert-peirces-computer.local starting.
> >
> > This implies the test mail is being sent but it is being dropped
> > somewhere.
>
> Port 110 is usually POP, which is for receiving mail. Mail is sent
> using SMTP, which is usually port 25.

I'm quoting the full message for context. I change to Port 25 and got
the following message:

Send Test E-mail
502 5.5.1 Error: command not implemented.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <bob-21E2EE.08191613062010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
Robert Peirce <bob(a)peirce-family.com> wrote:

> In article <4c11b3e3$0$22169$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
> Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrie(a)pixelmemory.us> wrote:
>
> > In article <bob-48FA44.09190310062010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
> > Robert Peirce <bob(a)peirce-family.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I am having trouble with this. What works from terminal and Mail.app
> > > doesn't work for this. I could use some help.
> > >
> > > I have the following E-Mail Settings:
> > >
> > > Enable E-mail Alerts on
> > > Send E-mail Alerts when a situation is important
> > > To root(a)local.peirce-family.com
> > > From root(a)local.peirce-family.com
> > > Seerver 127.0.0.1
> > > Port 110 [taken from Mail.app]
> > > Authentication on
> > > Username root
> > > Password XXXXXXXX
> > >
> > > I use Qpopper to send local mail. When I send a test E-mail, I get a
> > > panel that says:
> > >
> > > +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.19) at robert-peirces-computer.local starting.
> > >
> > > This implies the test mail is being sent but it is being dropped
> > > somewhere.
> >
> > Port 110 is usually POP, which is for receiving mail. Mail is sent
> > using SMTP, which is usually port 25.
>
> I'm quoting the full message for context. I change to Port 25 and got
> the following message:
>
> Send Test E-mail
> 502 5.5.1 Error: command not implemented.

Sounds like you have some strange setup there.

I run my own mail server (Postfix + Dovecot), and have no such problems
with Drobo.

JR
From: Robert Peirce on
In article <jollyroger-ADDCEC.07571313062010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> Sounds like you have some strange setup there.
>
> I run my own mail server (Postfix + Dovecot), and have no such problems
> with Drobo.

I think the problem is in my definition of the Mail Server. Different
names produce different error messages.

127.0.0.1 502 5.5.1 Error: command not implemented
robert-peirces-computer The specified host is unknown.
robert-peirces-computer.local Interrupted.
local.robert-peirces-computer The specified host is unknown.
peirce-family.com Interrupted.
peirce-family.com.local The specified host is unknown.
local.peirce-family.com Interrupted.
peirce-family The specified host is unknown.
peirce-family.local The specified host is unknown.
local.peirce-family The specified host is unknown.

Since mail is sent to rbp(a)local.peirce.family.com from
rbp(a)local.peirce-family.com and this works from a terminal window and
shows up in Mail.app, I am inclined to think the server is
local.peirce-family.com, but I may be missing something.

Perhaps I need to use something other than port 25.

I, also, use Postfix, but I use qpopper to feed local mail to Postfix
which I believe acts as sendmail. The README for Qpopper says:

Qpopper supports the widely used POP3 protocol for downloading Internet
e-mail used by many popular e-mail clients. Qpopper does not include a
message transfer agent or SMTP support and normally works with standard
UNIX mail transfer agents such as sendmail or smail.