From: SAL on
I'm hoping this is the right place for this post.
We're setting up a couple of virtural servers to host our differing
platforms on windows server 2008 64bit (IIS 7).
One server will host the .NET apps and the other the Coldfusion apps
(Coldfusion seems to love stepping all over .NET stuff).
I've been trying to set up a virtual folder on my server (the .NET stuff) to
an application on the other server (ColdFusion app).
So, I create a virtual folder, using the IIS interface, and point it at the
other server such as:
http://otherserver/applications/ahome/CFApp

When I click ok, it tells me that the directory is not found on the remote
server.
What I'm trying to accomplish is for a user to click a link, that points to
a relative path (on my server) where the relative path is the virtual folder
I created above and have the browser follow it to open the app.
Am I going about this correctly or am I all wet here?

Some guidance would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

SAL

From: "WenJun Zhang[msft]" on
Hi SAL,

The urlwrite module of IIS7 is a great tool to help you achieve this. You
can simply create a redirection rule to do the job.

Please refer to:

URL Rewrite Module
http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/734/url-rewrite-module/

and below is a video walkthrough of it:
http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/506/url-rewrite-module---video-walkthrough/

HTH

Sincerely,

WenJun Zhang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Please note that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays with a goal to provide
ONE BUSINESS DAY RESPONSE to all posts.
If this response time does not meet your needs, please contact CSS for more
immediate assistance:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone>.
Feedback on your service and satisfaction can be posted to:
from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.We
look forward to hearing from you!
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

From: SAL on
Hmmm, let me see if I have this right. In IIS6, I could simply create a
virtual directory and then set it's redirect url. Now, in IIS 7, this no
longer works when redirecting to a remote server and I have to basically
learn a new language to make this happen?

Is that correct?
Steve

From: Ken Schaefer on
Hi,

From your response, it is unclear what exactly you are trying to do.

Are you trying to redirect the user? (e.g. when they go to
http://serverA/appB, they are then redirected to http://serverB/appB)?

Or are you trying to map the source folder of a virtual directory on serverA
to a folder on serverB (e.g. when they go to http://serverA/appB the content
comes from http://serverB/appB without any redirection happening)?

the former needs redirection, the latter needs proxying. If you can clarify
what you want setup, we can then provide some recommendations on how to do
it.

Cheers
Ken

From: SAL on
Now those are excellent questions Ken. Thank you for that.
Originally, we were trying to do the second scenario you listed below. But,
when we tried to do it, we'd get errors. We could view the contents of the
folders but couldn't browse to them in the browser.

Thanks
SAL