From: 95huskers on
We have a heavy used site that has all auditing enabled (Site Actions, Site
Settings, Modify All Site Settings, Site Collection Audit Settings, All items
checked under Events to audit)

This has caused the table dbo.AuditData in our WSS_WebApp_Content1 database
to become very large. Currently is has 135,614,755 records and is 33.8 GB in
size!

I have seen other posts where info on this table has been requested, but
nobody is responding. Some users thought that items were deleted out of it
after 30 days, this is nottrue. We have items in it dating back more than 6
months.

Here are my main questions:
- Is there any risk to moving this data out of this table into an archival
database?

- If we uncheck events to audit, will it automatically remove the space?

- Is there a way to automatically clear it after X days (without writing SQL
jobs)?

- How does this affect performance?

From: John Timney (MVP) on
Read this - you'll need the infrastructure update for MOSS, but its worth
the install to remove that headache.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com