From: Deebrief on
Overnight is it safe to put the PC in HIBERNATE rather than shutdown mode.

Cheers

Dee
From: John McFerren on
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:50:20 -0000, Deebrief wrote:

> Overnight is it safe to put the PC in HIBERNATE rather than shutdown mode.
>

> Cheers
>

> Dee

Yes, it is perfectly safe to use Hibernate mode. Just be careful sometimes
a desktop will bring itself out of Hibernate mode on its own to run various
tasks. If that is a problem there is a setting to prevent that (I don't
remember where off hand) or if all else fails disconnect the power cord.
Remember hibernate copies the RAM to a file on the hard disk and powers
off. I use hibernate all the time on my desktop.
From: igotsaurus on
It will not hurt your computer.
No version of Windows will stably go in and out of hibernation for very
long: you will have to reboot at some point.

From: Don McKenzie on
igotsaurus wrote:
> It will not hurt your computer.
> No version of Windows will stably go in and out of hibernation for very
> long: you will have to reboot at some point.

windows will make you re-boot from time to time, so that will cover it.

I hibernate Netbooks and PCs, and have done so for many years.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam

The World's First Large-Scale, Multi-User, Real Time System.
http://www.dontronics.com/first_multi_user_real_time.html
From: Alex Clayton on
"Deebrief" <nick.dunstan(a)virgin.net> wrote in message
> Overnight is it safe to put the PC in HIBERNATE rather than shutdown
> mode.
>

> Cheers
>

> Dee

I have used it for years on my laptops. I now use sleep, but either is fine.
The only problem I have ever had is if you do it too long things start to
act funny. Then I just re start, but I always leave my Laptops sleeping when
I go to sleep.
I do not carry it with me like that though. Don't want something to make
it kick on inside a case.
--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Boot problem/question
Next: Modem driver too old.