From: Joe J. on
I purchased a 300G USB drive. After hibernating, if I don't disconnect the
USB, the computer won't boot. Once I reboot, it sits there with a flashing
cursor in the top left corner. My boot options are set to this, in this
order:
Onboard or USB CD-Rom
Onboard or USB Floppy
Onboard SATA.
USB Device not present. I tried toggling between on and off for this and
leaving it off but it still hangs on the boot-up.

Any thoughts because it's a pain to have to keep plugging and unplugging the
USB. The tower sits on the floor and the USB connector is at the bottom of
the tower.

From: JD on
Joe J. wrote:
> I purchased a 300G USB drive. After hibernating, if I don't disconnect the
> USB, the computer won't boot. Once I reboot, it sits there with a flashing
> cursor in the top left corner. My boot options are set to this, in this
> order:
> Onboard or USB CD-Rom
> Onboard or USB Floppy
> Onboard SATA.
> USB Device not present. I tried toggling between on and off for this and
> leaving it off but it still hangs on the boot-up.
>
> Any thoughts because it's a pain to have to keep plugging and unplugging the
> USB. The tower sits on the floor and the USB connector is at the bottom of
> the tower.

Hi Joe

Does your PC have the same issue when you do a standard shutdown and
restart?, I've sen some USB devices that cause the POST to hang, for
instance I had the same issue with a Razer Copperhead USB mouse, to fix
it I had to flash my Board with the latest Firmware (BIOS)

Check whether or not your PC does the same thing on a normal shutdown if
it does, try Disabling Boot from other devices, also check your
Motherboard manufacturer's website for an update (WARNING flashing your
mainboard can be hazardous for its health, if you do it wrong!!)

Its also helpful to know the make of your USB device, type of mainboard
and the operating system.

JD
From: Jeff Strickland on
You need to change the boot priority to boot from the HDD first, or the CD
first and the HDD second. If these sources are not bootable, then look to
the USB. You do not need the floppy drive in the mix at all because as a
practical matter, there is no such thing as a bootable floppy anymore. In
theory, there could be a few people out there running a very old OS that can
boot from a floppy, but if you have a machine that supports a SATA drive,
then booting from a floop isn't realisticaly going to happen.

First Boot -- CD
Second Boot -- HDD
Third Boot -- USB

If the USB is a boot device ahead of the HDD, but hasn't got a boot sector,
then the machine will hang looking for something it will never be able to
find. I'm not certain, but if the CD is not bootable and is in front of the
HDD, you might have trouble waking the machine from Hibernation too -- if
the CD is occupied but the disc is not bootable. You can eject the CD tray
if the machine is trying to boot from it, and then it will go to the HDD for
boot information.

My machine is set to boot in the following order, CD, HDD, USB. You can drop
the USB device from the boot order if you haven't got any bootable USB
devices -- which covers the majority of the populatiion. The vast majority
of users will only boot to the HDD, unless the HDD goes into failure mode.
If this happens, we will boot to a CD so that we can make repairs to the OS.
It is a specialty user that will boot to a USB drive.

From: Joe J. on
My USB is not enabled on boot. I don't see how having the floppy in the
sequence would make a difference since there is no disk in it.

Joe

From: Joe J. on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> Joe J. wrote:
>> I purchased a 300G USB drive. After hibernating, if I don't disconnect
>> the USB, the computer won't boot. Once I reboot, it sits there with a
>> flashing cursor in the top left corner. My boot options are set to this,
>> in this order:
>> Onboard or USB CD-Rom
>> Onboard or USB Floppy
>> Onboard SATA.
>> USB Device not present. I tried toggling between on and off for this and
>> leaving it off but it still hangs on the boot-up.
>>
>> Any thoughts because it's a pain to have to keep plugging and unplugging
>> the USB. The tower sits on the floor and the USB connector is at the
>> bottom of the tower.
>
> Hi Joe
>
> Does your PC have the same issue when you do a standard shutdown and
> restart?, I've sen some USB devices that cause the POST to hang, for
> instance I had the same issue with a Razer Copperhead USB mouse, to fix it
> I had to flash my Board with the latest Firmware (BIOS)
>
> Check whether or not your PC does the same thing on a normal shutdown if
> it does, try Disabling Boot from other devices, also check your
> Motherboard manufacturer's website for an update (WARNING flashing your
> mainboard can be hazardous for its health, if you do it wrong!!)
>
> Its also helpful to know the make of your USB device, type of mainboard
> and the operating system.
>
> JD

Tried a full shutdown and get the same thing, it hangs.
USB is a Simpletech 320G
Where would I find disable boot from other devices? It's not an option in
the boot sequence language.
It's a Dell 4700, running XP. Bios is AO5 I have no idea where to find
type of mainboard.

Joe