From: SMS on
On 28/05/10 2:40 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article<4c002da6$0$1650$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
> <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there really Sigma fanbois (plural)? There was one here a while
>> back, but that's about it.
>
> yes, and they congregate in the sigma dpreview forum. any time anyone
> dares to say something negative there, they blast them to hell. they've
> earned the nickname, sigmafia.

Well that's a good place for them to be, all reassuring themselves of
how great Sigma's D-SLRs are, and not bothering anyone here.
From: Ben Dover on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 14:40:14 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>In article <4c002da6$0$1650$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
><scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there really Sigma fanbois (plural)? There was one here a while
>> back, but that's about it.
>
>yes, and they congregate in the sigma dpreview forum. any time anyone
>dares to say something negative there, they blast them to hell. they've
>earned the nickname, sigmafia.

Sounds just like the insecure behavior of the DSLRmafia.

Got a mirror handy?

From: Robert Coe on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:04:02 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
: On 27/05/10 2:11 PM, RichA wrote:
: >
: > Sigma's SD15 DSLR hit by further delay
: > Thursday 27th May 2010
: >
: > Sigma has once again delayed the launch of its long-awaited SD15 DSLR,
:
: Who's waiting for it?

Why *does* Sigma stay in the camera business? They seem to have largely lived
down the quality problems that once plagued their line of lenses. Some of them
are now highly regarded. Wouldn't it be more profitable to just concentrate on
lenses from now on? Tamron and Tokina don't bother dabbling in the camera
market, do they?

Bob
From: SMS on
On 29/05/10 7:24 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:04:02 -0700, SMS<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> : On 27/05/10 2:11 PM, RichA wrote:
> :>
> :> Sigma's SD15 DSLR hit by further delay
> :> Thursday 27th May 2010
> :>
> :> Sigma has once again delayed the launch of its long-awaited SD15 DSLR,
> :
> : Who's waiting for it?
>
> Why *does* Sigma stay in the camera business? They seem to have largely lived
> down the quality problems that once plagued their line of lenses. Some of them
> are now highly regarded. Wouldn't it be more profitable to just concentrate on
> lenses from now on? Tamron and Tokina don't bother dabbling in the camera
> market, do they?

Maybe there's a reason for what they do that goes beyond what anyone
here can understand. I.e. maybe Japan's tax code has some loophole for
camera manufacturers that does not extend to lens manufacturers.
From: David J. Littleboy on

"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
> On 29/05/10 7:24 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:04:02 -0700, SMS<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
>> wrote:
>> : On 27/05/10 2:11 PM, RichA wrote:
>> :>
>> :> Sigma's SD15 DSLR hit by further delay
>> :> Thursday 27th May 2010
>> :>
>> :> Sigma has once again delayed the launch of its long-awaited SD15
>> DSLR,
>> :
>> : Who's waiting for it?
>>
>> Why *does* Sigma stay in the camera business? They seem to have largely
>> lived
>> down the quality problems that once plagued their line of lenses. Some of
>> them
>> are now highly regarded. Wouldn't it be more profitable to just
>> concentrate on
>> lenses from now on? Tamron and Tokina don't bother dabbling in the camera
>> market, do they?
>
> Maybe there's a reason for what they do that goes beyond what anyone here
> can understand. I.e. maybe Japan's tax code has some loophole for camera
> manufacturers that does not extend to lens manufacturers.

I doubt that. I suspect that Sigma thinks they need to be in the camera
business for bragging rights to not being just a lens mfr., presumably a
mindset left over from the film days. I liked their film cameras: solidly
built, sensible feature sets. They seemed a lot better than the low-end
Canons and Nikons at similar prices. Of course, neither I nor anyone else
ever bought a Sigma film camera...

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan