From: nospam on
In article <o7kl061h09uf88nirhjebciffs8hgdufs3(a)4ax.com>, Robert Coe
<bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

> : old sigma lenses were held together with cellophane tape. seriously.
>
> an urban legend. obviously.

obviously based on what? there are a *lot* of people who have posted
about it.

> FWIW, the rear lens caps on my Sigma lenses appear to work exactly like those
> on my Canon lenses.

that's canon. try one of the nikon caps.
From: nospam on
In article <2010060601125788791-availableonrequest(a)aserverinvalid>,
Pete <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:

> > Agreed. The Sigma rear lens caps for Nikon mounts are keyed, fit one
> > way only, and are a pain to replace quickly when changing lenses.
>
> Of course, so the user always sees Sigma written the right way up as
> they go to mount the lens on their camera. Nikon will appear the right
> way up only 50% of the time.

there's no logo on the rear caps like there is on the front caps.
From: Doug McDonald on
Robert Coe wrote:

> :
> : old sigma lenses were held together with cellophane tape. seriously.
>
> an urban legend. obviously.

I can assure you that at least some old Minolta (film camera) lenses
were indeed so held together! Well, maybe mylar.

I took several apart to use the optical part only for scirntific
apparatus use ... and some of the internal works were prevented from
counter-rotating by tape.

Doug McDonald
From: Doug McDonald on

> :
> : old sigma lenses were held together with cellophane tape. seriously.
>
> an urban legend. obviously.

I just remembered: just as an old minolta lens was, so is
(I still have it) and old Sigma 500mm mirror lens! REALLY!
The tape was used to prevent the internal "infinity" setting, which was
a rotary screw motion, from changing.

Doug McDonald
From: Pete on
On 2010-06-06 12:53:00 +0100, J. Clarke said:

> On 6/5/2010 9:28 PM, Pete wrote:
>> <>
>> Sorry, I forgot to include the vignetting problem in my list. I also
>> forgot to include that some third party lenses and tele-converters are
>> unable to communicate their defects to the camera so that it and the
>> editing software can automatically correct for them.
>
> Lenses do not "communicate their defects", they communicate the lens
> type. The defect correction is based on a lookup table built into the
> camera. No camera manufacturer of which I am aware includes correction
> tables for third-party lenses.

I haven't seen camera firmware or Capture NX2 updates when new lenses
become available so I don't know how it works. I find auto correction
of CA and pincushion/barrel distortion very useful.

AFAIK third party tele-converters do not communicate the correct data
to the camera.

--
Pete