From: DanielleOM on

Any one use instrument cables with the silent connectors designed to elimate
the popping sounds when people unplug instruments? Sounds like a great idea
but I also view it as more complex and wonder if it add another point of
failure.

It seems every open mike I go to someone does not wait for the sound person
signal before unplugging or the wrong channel gets muted at some point
during the evening.

Anyone have a preference for cable sources with quick turnaround? I am
thinking of limping through first evening with what I can scrounge up and
ordering some custom cables in different colors. A friend of mine swears by
Canare.

Danielle

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"DanielleOM" <danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote in message

> Any one use instrument cables with the silent connectors designed to
> elimate the popping sounds when people unplug instruments? Sounds like a
> great idea but I also view it as more complex and wonder if it add another
> point of failure.
>
> It seems every open mike I go to someone does not wait for the sound
> person signal before unplugging or the wrong channel gets muted at some
> point during the evening.
>
> Anyone have a preference for cable sources with quick turnaround? I am
> thinking of limping through first evening with what I can scrounge up and
> ordering some custom cables in different colors. A friend of mine swears
> by Canare.
>

> Danielle

in live sound , cables are considered a "consumable" that is you buy a
decent quality but don't go overboard with super high end stuff as it will
get trashed, a decent whirlwind, or gepco cable will serve you as well as
any, and as for the grounding , just get a normal cable, and spend money on
a limiter for your system, better protection for ALL the nasties
george

From: Denny Strauser on
DanielleOM wrote:

> Any one use instrument cables with the silent connectors designed to
> elimate the popping sounds when people unplug instruments? Sounds like
> a great idea but I also view it as more complex and wonder if it add
> another point of failure.
>
> It seems every open mike I go to someone does not wait for the sound
> person signal before unplugging or the wrong channel gets muted at some
> point during the evening.
>
> Anyone have a preference for cable sources with quick turnaround? I am
> thinking of limping through first evening with what I can scrounge up
> and ordering some custom cables in different colors. A friend of mine
> swears by Canare.

Canare makes excellent cables. The self muting cable has a small button
in the plug that grounds the tip as it is extracted, eliminating the
"pop" from pulling a hot cable.

Another option is to provide a tuning pedal that mutes the sound in the
tuning mode. And from my experience doing sound for more open mics than
I can stand, a tuner is a good idea. But I usually ask the performers to
tune their instruments before getting on stage.

But you cannot count on performers to mute themselves before they
unplug. I always used a talkback mic to coach amateur performers.
Regulars knew the routine.

Although unplugging a hot cable is annoying, it usually isn't damaging
to a sound system.

- Denny