From: DanielleOM on

Somehow I volunteered to host a weekly open mike (in Windsor CT) after the
current host had new commitments.

I am thinking at minimum I need 3 microphones and 3 instrument inputs to use
with my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer.

For open mike I think I want the knock around reliability of dynamic mikes.

I own a Shure Beta 58A that I can use. Iwas thinking another one the same
might be easier for the situation.

I want to get another two microphones. I am thinking another vocal mike and
instrument mike. At the same time I am thinking that instrument mike might
be used for occasional vocals.

It seems most people plug in these days, even with acoustic guitars.

I bought a cheap livewire passive DI last year. I was thinking of just
picking up another 2 of those for the instrument inputs.

Any thoughts?

Danielle

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"DanielleOM" <danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote in message

> Somehow I volunteered to host a weekly open mike (in Windsor CT) after the
> current host had new commitments.
>
> I am thinking at minimum I need 3 microphones and 3 instrument inputs to
> use with my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer.
>
> For open mike I think I want the knock around reliability of dynamic
> mikes.
>
> I own a Shure Beta 58A that I can use. Iwas thinking another one the same
> might be easier for the situation.
>
> I want to get another two microphones. I am thinking another vocal mike
> and instrument mike. At the same time I am thinking that instrument mike
> might be used for occasional vocals.
>
> It seems most people plug in these days, even with acoustic guitars.
>

> I bought a cheap livewire passive DI last year. I was thinking of just
> picking up another 2 of those for the instrument inputs.
>

> Any thoughts?

if you do not want to OWN these mics for other uses and are just getting
them to fill a need for a open mic I would get something considerable less
expensive
I would look at these, there are copies of the sm 58, honestly they are
equal to the 58 in every way I have been able to determine
I can sell these with free shipping at the map price

https://www.ospaudio.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=104&idcategory=34

George
www.georgesprosound.com

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "DanielleOM" <danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Somehow I volunteered to host a weekly open mike (in Windsor CT) after
>> the current host had new commitments.
>>
>> I am thinking at minimum I need 3 microphones and 3 instrument inputs to
>> use with my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer.
>>
>> For open mike I think I want the knock around reliability of dynamic
>> mikes.
>>
>> I own a Shure Beta 58A that I can use. Iwas thinking another one the
>> same might be easier for the situation.
>>
>> I want to get another two microphones. I am thinking another vocal mike
>> and instrument mike. At the same time I am thinking that instrument mike
>> might be used for occasional vocals.
>>
>> It seems most people plug in these days, even with acoustic guitars.
>>

>> I bought a cheap livewire passive DI last year. I was thinking of just
>> picking up another 2 of those for the instrument inputs.
>>

>> Any thoughts?
>
> if you do not want to OWN these mics for other uses and are just getting
> them to fill a need for a open mic I would get something considerable less
> expensive
> I would look at these, there are copies of the sm 58, honestly they are
> equal to the 58 in every way I have been able to determine
> I can sell these with free shipping at the map price
>
> https://www.ospaudio.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=104&idcategory=34
>
> George
> www.georgesprosound.com
>

>> Danielle

If you were starting to build a mic locker for full on pro use I would get
more beta 58s, they are well accepted in the usa

From: DanielleOM on
George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "DanielleOM" <danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Somehow I volunteered to host a weekly open mike (in Windsor CT)
>>> after the current host had new commitments.
>>>
>>> I am thinking at minimum I need 3 microphones and 3 instrument
>>> inputs to use with my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer.
>>>
>>> For open mike I think I want the knock around reliability of dynamic
>>> mikes.
>>>
>>> I own a Shure Beta 58A that I can use. Iwas thinking another one
>>> the same might be easier for the situation.
>>>
>>> I want to get another two microphones. I am thinking another vocal
>>> mike and instrument mike. At the same time I am thinking that
>>> instrument mike might be used for occasional vocals.
>>>
>>> It seems most people plug in these days, even with acoustic guitars.
>>>

>>> I bought a cheap livewire passive DI last year. I was thinking of
>>> just picking up another 2 of those for the instrument inputs.
>>>

>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> if you do not want to OWN these mics for other uses and are just
>> getting them to fill a need for a open mic I would get something
>> considerable less expensive
>> I would look at these, there are copies of the sm 58, honestly they
>> are equal to the 58 in every way I have been able to determine
>> I can sell these with free shipping at the map price
>>
>> https://www.ospaudio.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=104&idcategory=34
>>
>> George
>> www.georgesprosound.com
>>

>>> Danielle
>
> If you were starting to build a mic locker for full on pro use I
> would get more beta 58s, they are well accepted in the usa

I was thinking another Beta 58a would make sense. As with two similar mikes
I would have less variables to deal with. I also wouldn't have people
stating their preference for one mike vs the other.

Still not sure what to do for an instrument mike that would see occasional
vocal use. Might buy the Shure Beta 57. Guy at GC spoke highly of the
Audix i5.

Danielle

From: Tim Perry on

> I was thinking another Beta 58a would make sense. As with two similar
> mikes I would have less variables to deal with. I also wouldn't have
> people stating their preference for one mike vs the other.
>
> Still not sure what to do for an instrument mike that would see occasional
> vocal use. Might buy the Shure Beta 57. Guy at GC spoke highly of the
> Audix i5.
>
> Danielle

As a former i5 owner: its a terrible vocal mic. First one I bought was so
bad I though it was broken and exchanged it with the same result. It did
fairly well on loud guitar cabinets.