From: DanielleOM on
Kevin T wrote:
> On May 11, 1:49 pm, "DanielleOM" <daniell...(a)reply.to.group.com>
> wrote:
>> "Tim Perry" <timpe...(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in message

>>> You might also consider the Samson Q7. Supercard pattern and good
>>> sound at about half the price.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I already bought the Shure beta 57a. Last
>> night it was only used for instrumentals.
>>
>> Danielle
>
> Don't shoot me please but I was given a thee pack of Berhinger xm8500
> that have become my go to indestructable / disposable sm58 clone mic .
> But Id say if $ is not the issue the Beta 57 ( not 58) would be a
> great all around mic I have had make some vocalists smile.
>
> Kevin T

Hi Kevin

Monday, I brought a Shure Beta 58A and a Shure Beta 57A. With super cardiod
mikes you really notice the people who can not stay in front of a microphone
and appear to make any attempt to do so.

My co-host brought an EV live sound condenser mike but a I did not catch the
model number. Wonder if it still works. He unplugged it while the phantom
power was still on.

Must off done something right. We got a lot of good compliments re the
sound. Really focused on the correct gain and fader levels with only very
slight modification of frequency. (generally a slight cut in lows and lower
mid range)

I was able to clearly hear all of the words from the performers. This is
something that does not happen at a lot of the open mikes I go to.

Danielle

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"DanielleOM" <danielle.e(a)reply.to.group.com> wrote in message
> Kevin T wrote:
>> On May 11, 1:49 pm, "DanielleOM" <daniell...(a)reply.to.group.com>
>> wrote:
>>> "Tim Perry" <timpe...(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in message

>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. I already bought the Shure beta 57a. Last
>>> night it was only used for instrumentals.
>>>
>>> Danielle
>>
>> Don't shoot me please but I was given a thee pack of Berhinger xm8500
>> that have become my go to indestructable / disposable sm58 clone mic .
>> But Id say if $ is not the issue the Beta 57 ( not 58) would be a
>> great all around mic I have had make some vocalists smile.
>>
>> Kevin T
>

> Hi Kevin
>

> Monday, I brought a Shure Beta 58A and a Shure Beta 57A. With super
> cardiod mikes you really notice the people who can not stay in front of a
> microphone and appear to make any attempt to do so.
>
> My co-host brought an EV live sound condenser mike but a I did not catch
> the model number. Wonder if it still works. He unplugged it while the
> phantom power was still on.
>
> Must off done something right. We got a lot of good compliments re the
> sound. Really focused on the correct gain and fader levels with only very
> slight modification of frequency. (generally a slight cut in lows and
> lower mid range)
>
> I was able to clearly hear all of the words from the performers. This is
> something that does not happen at a lot of the open mikes I go to.
>

> Danielle

generally low and low mid cuts are useful for bringing voices forward, and
as a last resort a slight boost in the 3.2k range
I have info about how to relate sounds you hear to the numbers on a eq
written by Mike Gaster over at www.myspace.com/letgeorgedoit
on the left hand side labeled "audio 101"
George