From: ab` on
I'm looking for suggestions for encrypting/decrypting strings.

In the app, there is a (potentially huge) unicode string which is an
entire xml file, ready to be written to disk. I'd like to encrypt it
with a user-supplied password, write it to a file, and later read the
file and decrypt it (in memory). Post decryption, it will be run
through an xml parser.

All the encryption solutions I've run into seem overly complicated for
such a basic task.

Suggestions?
From: Goran on
On May 15, 12:03 am, ab` <a...(a)absent.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for encrypting/decrypting strings.
>
> In the app, there is a (potentially huge) unicode string which is an
> entire xml file, ready to be written to disk.  I'd like to encrypt it
> with a user-supplied password, write it to a file, and later read the
> file and decrypt it (in memory).  Post decryption, it will be run
> through an xml parser.
>
> All the encryption solutions I've run into seem overly complicated for
> such a basic task.

What is your purpose? If "I don't want my client to see my XML", then
zlib (RFC 1950) with *.strange_extension_here might be enough. If "my
client wants to encrypt with a password", then zip with a password or
blowfish. Or zlib+blowfish (I push for compression because XML
compresses well, but without knowing the size of your data, that might
be an overkill).

Goran.
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
You really have to decide why you are encrypting.

For example, if security really matters, you will need to use something like RSA-256 or
better, or one of the new encryption standards from NIST. There are APIs to do this.

PGP is actually pretty powerful, there are lots of PGP libraries around.
joe

On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:03:21 -0700, ab` <ab(a)absent.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for suggestions for encrypting/decrypting strings.
>
>In the app, there is a (potentially huge) unicode string which is an
>entire xml file, ready to be written to disk. I'd like to encrypt it
>with a user-supplied password, write it to a file, and later read the
>file and decrypt it (in memory). Post decryption, it will be run
>through an xml parser.
>
>All the encryption solutions I've run into seem overly complicated for
>such a basic task.
>
>Suggestions?
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: John H. on
ab` wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for encrypting/decrypting strings.

I have used 7zip with some success. It is an open source compressor/
encrypter. I programaticaly called the command line version via a
Win32 command shell. I think they have a related SDK that might also
be of use.
http://www.7-zip.org/
From: ab` on
Minimal encryption is all that's needed, just enough to make it obvious.

I've tried the 7-Zip, .zip classes, but they all seem to rely on writing
the file to disk first, then encrypting, then deleting.