From: JMR on
Le 03/03/10 00:35, Chris a �crit :
> Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate that a Nikon scanner would
> be the best option, but a) they're not easy to come by, b) they're
> beyond my budget, and c) I really can't face the prospect of feeding
> my slides in one by one for the next few years so I'd need the bulk
> feeder which would *definitely* be beyond my budget!
>
> I've looked at the specs of the V500 and V700 on the Epson site, but
> while I've found comprehensive reviews of the V700, I've not come
> across anything similar for the V500. Does anyone know of one?
>
> Is it possible to get additional slide holders for either of them? The
> Epson site doesn't say...
>
> It's a pity there aren't a few more mid-range slide scanners to choose
> from these days. There seem to be a lot of cheap and (I presume)
> nasty devices around - but then I suppose the market must be very
> small.
>
> Chris.

Maybe you could have a look at plustek scanners (7600AI and 7400)
I don't know them personally but i read good comments on both in a
french photo review.
JMR
From: Chris on
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:01:54 +0100, JMR <jmr(a)nowhere.be> wrote:

>Maybe you could have a look at plustek scanners (7600AI and 7400)
>I don't know them personally but i read good comments on both in a
>french photo review.
>JMR

Problem with the Plustek scanners, as I understand it, is they don't
do batch scanning - you have to push the holder through the scanner
manually, frame by frame. If they did one with a motorised feeder,
I'd seriously consider it.

Chris.
From: Barry Watzman on
I think that a bigger issue is their basic quality. I don't think that
they are even close to either the Nikon or the Epson products.

From: Woofdog on

"Chris" <chris(a)anywhere.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate that a Nikon scanner would
> be the best option, but a) they're not easy to come by, b) they're
> beyond my budget, and c) I really can't face the prospect of feeding
> my slides in one by one for the next few years so I'd need the bulk
> feeder which would *definitely* be beyond my budget!
>
> I've looked at the specs of the V500 and V700 on the Epson site, but
> while I've found comprehensive reviews of the V700, I've not come
> across anything similar for the V500. Does anyone know of one?
>
> Is it possible to get additional slide holders for either of them? The
> Epson site doesn't say...
>
> It's a pity there aren't a few more mid-range slide scanners to choose
> from these days. There seem to be a lot of cheap and (I presume)
> nasty devices around - but then I suppose the market must be very
> small.
>
> Chris.

Chris I've had the V700 for some time and it is probably the best flatbed
for your needs if you can't, like me, afford a Nikon

Eddie

From: Chris on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:51:34 +0800, "Woofdog" <woofdog(a)kennel.com.au>
wrote:

>Chris I've had the V700 for some time and it is probably the best flatbed
>for your needs if you can't, like me, afford a Nikon
>
>Eddie

Thanks for that - but I found a hardly-used Scanwit 2740 on ebay for
almost a quarter the price of a V700. As I've been very happy with my
2720, it was too good to pass up.

I reckon that, by the time that gives up the ghost...

1. I will have won the lottery, and can afford a Nikon

or

2. Someone will have brought out a decently-specced film scanner at a
reasonable price

or

3. I'll get a V700 or its successor

or

4. I won't have any slides left to scan.

No bets as to which is the most likely!

Chris.