From: irfan williams on
Please help me with this issue.

I bought an Acer Aspire 6 cell Netbook (Window XP I believe) a few
months ago . It ran great for a few months. Now it is vey slow.

I did the following:

1. Did a run
misconfig
and deselected the programs I did not want.

( I get an error window that says:
An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a
service...
but yet it seems to deselect the software)

2. Opened Chrome and Mozilla / Firefox and cleared history, cache
etc.

But it is still very slow.

I have not added /downloaded any software to the netbook nor changed
anything.

Can anyone please suggest what I should next ?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Irfan Williams
From: Paul on
irfan williams wrote:
> Please help me with this issue.
>
> I bought an Acer Aspire 6 cell Netbook (Window XP I believe) a few
> months ago . It ran great for a few months. Now it is vey slow.
>
> I did the following:
>
> 1. Did a run
> misconfig
> and deselected the programs I did not want.
>
> ( I get an error window that says:
> An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a
> service...
> but yet it seems to deselect the software)
>
> 2. Opened Chrome and Mozilla / Firefox and cleared history, cache etc.
>
> But it is still very slow.
>
> I have not added /downloaded any software to the netbook nor changed
> anything.
>
> Can anyone please suggest what I should next ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input,
>
> Irfan Williams

Does it, by any chance, use a solid state drive, rather than a hard drive ?

If you want a test, try the free version of HDTune, which has a read benchmark
in it. Try benchmarking the drive used to hold your C: partition, then
tell us what the resulting curve looks like (starting bandwidth, ending bandwidth,
shape of curve). An SSD should be a flat line. A rotating hard drive has a
curved line.

(Version 2.55 is free...)

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

The "blue line" in the graph, is the one you want to look at.

http://www.hdtune.com/images/screenshot.png

Paul
From: "Repelsteeltje" henbrosj.2 on

"irfan williams" <irfanwilliams(a)gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Please help me with this issue.
>
> I bought an Acer Aspire 6 cell Netbook (Window XP I believe) a few
> months ago . It ran great for a few months. Now it is vey slow.
>
> I did the following:
>
> 1. Did a run
> misconfig
> and deselected the programs I did not want.
>
> ( I get an error window that says:
> An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a
> service...
> but yet it seems to deselect the software)
>

> 2. Opened Chrome and Mozilla / Firefox and cleared history, cache
> etc.
>

> But it is still very slow.
>
> I have not added /downloaded any software to the netbook nor changed
> anything.
>

> Can anyone please suggest what I should next ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input,
>
> Irfan Williams

Allready defragmented?
Look at www.piriform.com and download defragler
That programm does also defragmented your register and that's maybe the
reason that your computer is very slowly.
It's a freeware programm and it is a very good programm.
I use it by myself for more than a year and I'm still satisfied
Janus

From: irfan williams on
I am sorry I should have mentioned the specs for the Acer Aspire One
netbook :

1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor
1024MB DDR2 SDRAM Single Channel Memory
160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Windows XP Home (SP3), Up to 7.5 Hours of Battery Life (6-Cell 5200
mAh)

Also I should have mentioned that I am not a techie.

Thanks,
Irfan Williams

From: Paul on
irfan williams wrote:
> I am sorry I should have mentioned the specs for the Acer Aspire One
> netbook :
>
> 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor
> 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM Single Channel Memory
> 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
> Windows XP Home (SP3), Up to 7.5 Hours of Battery Life (6-Cell 5200
> mAh)
>
> Also I should have mentioned that I am not a techie.
>
> Thanks,
> Irfan Williams

You can use Sysinternals Process Explorer, to display information similar
to Task Manager. There are also a couple extra entries near the top of the display.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

You can also verify the clock speed of your CPU, with a program
called CPUZ.

(Try the no-install version.)

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Have you run HDTune benchmark yet ? What did you get ? If the transfer
rate of the disk is low enough, you could be stuck in PIO transfer mode.

Paul

> On Jan 3, 10:24 pm, irfan williams <irfanwilli...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please help me with this issue.
>>
>> I bought an Acer Aspire 6 cell Netbook (Window XP I believe) a few
>> months ago . It ran great for a few months. Now it is vey slow.
>>
>> I did the following:
>>
>> 1. Did a run
>> misconfig
>> and deselected the programs I did not want.
>>
>> ( I get an error window that says:
>> An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a
>> service...
>> but yet it seems to deselect the software)
>>
>> 2. Opened Chrome and Mozilla / Firefox and cleared history, cache
>> etc.
>>
>> But it is still very slow.
>>
>> I have not added /downloaded any software to the netbook nor changed
>> anything.
>>
>> Can anyone please suggest what I should next ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your input,
>>
>> Irfan Williams
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2