From: Rowland McDonnell on
James Dore <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Steve Hodgson <hamrun(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Flavio Matani said:

> >> I didn't like it at all at first, keep mistyping (ok, I'll blame the
> >> keyboard, ok?) but after a while I got used to it -now I find it
> >> difficult to go back to the previous Apple keyboard.
> >
> > I had the opposite problem in that I loved it at first then started to
> > feel the keys felt dead. I switched to the Apple Extended II and it was
> > love at first type.
>
> That's what I went back to, and exactly my experience. I started getting
> 'shock' aches in the first knuckles of my fingers using the new aluminium
> (Arg! I had to teach spell check that word! Effing Seppos!) keyboard,

CocoASpell comes with proper British English spelling dictionaries -
multiple, depending on whether you want ize or ise (or both) or accents
included or...

<http://cocoaspell.leuski.net/>

I use it 'cos it can be set up to work with LaTeX input (and a few other
similar things - SGML, HTML, Nroff), but it's a good general spelling
checker - fully integrated: install it, and you get ASpell and its
dictionaries replacing the default spelling checker.

Downside: there are a lot of dictionaries supplied. I can't find a
quick way of getting a description. You have to do an `About' on each
one from the installed Spelling prefs pane - which lets you turn on
LaTeX command filtering (etc).

> as
> the travel is too short and inadequately cushioned.

The alternative viewpoint is that you're smacking the keys too hard.

[snip]

Rowland.
(who learnt to type on an IBM Selectric tripewriter with what felt like
hair-trigger keys - and `trigger' is right if you hold down (say) x long
enough to get auto-repeat. Sounds like automatic gunfire...)

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> James Dore <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
[snip]

> Downside: there are a lot of dictionaries supplied. I can't find a
> quick way of getting a description. You have to do an `About' on each
> one from the installed Spelling prefs pane - which lets you turn on
> LaTeX command filtering (etc).

[snip]

Tell a lie.

<http://people.ict.usc.edu/~leuski/cocoaspell/install_dict.html>

The Aspell dictionary site (link on above page) has the dictionares for
download (durr) - grab the latest set, read the Readmes, visit the Scowl
Website, all is made clear.

Rowland.