From: joel garry on
On Jul 14, 2:58 am, gazzag <gar...(a)jamms.org> wrote:
> On 14 July, 10:40, Frank van Bortel <fbor...(a)home.nl> wrote:
>

> > I'm not, and am inclined to ask "So, who's reading this ng".
>
> I'm not going either.  I'm still lurking around this newsgroup though.

Not going.

> > It's so infested with spam these days, it's hardly worth
> > hanging in here.
>
> Agreed.  What to do?

It reminds me of the scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind where
the computer takes over playing the music, and the communication slows
and stops.

Somehow, Open World seems to have the same issue to me.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"THE GRATEFUL DEA" - display on sat radio.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 21:36:19 -0700, joel garry wrote:

>> I'm not going either.  I'm still lurking around this newsgroup though.
>
> Not going.

Same here. If Oracle Corp. wants to sell me something, let them come to
me. I have no intention of attending a sales pitch.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: joel garry on
On Jul 17, 10:41 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 21:36:19 -0700, joel garry wrote:
> >> I'm not going either.  I'm still lurking around this newsgroup though.
>
> > Not going.
>
> Same here. If Oracle Corp. wants to sell me something, let them come to
> me. I have no intention of attending a sales pitch.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

In the past, I've found there is enough actual information around to
avoid sales pitches for the most part. I also personally like the big
Larry events, just to revel in the fluff, which often has different
meaning than intended to those of us with cynical viewpoints. Getting
to meet people is well worth it, too, especially when you can get some
juicy gossip with Oracle paying for beer. Sometimes the music is
good, too.

I'd go if my employer paid me, though I'd perhaps rather go to other
things if they did. I'd only push them if I thought there was
something that would help us both. I wish they were that mainstream
or bleeding edge, but at this point it would only be for my own
edification.

I'd still recommend it for young'uns.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/legal/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225900172&cid=RSSfeed_TechWeb
From: John Hurley on
Joel:

# I'd go if my employer paid me, though I'd perhaps rather go to other
things if they did.  I'd only push them if I thought there was
something that would help us both.  I wish they were that mainstream
or bleeding edge, but at this point it would only be for my own
edification.

There have been some really good sessions in the last 3 years since
the Unconference started. The idea of that is that presenters and/or
audience organize sessions and vote with their feet for what interests
them. Many of the top Oracle minds have done Unconference sessions.

It is a little unclear to me this year if the Unconference is still
officially on ( hows that for a puzzling thought ). I think it is but
the IOUG has an awful lot of sunday sessions.

The mainstream Oracle World sessions vary a lot in quality and
content. By and large it is pretty hard to get a whole lot across in
an hour and to get better tech content it would probably be a whole
lot more worthwhile to have 2 hour sessions IMHO. Still there are a
lot of good presenters like Lewis/Kyte/Millsap etc doing sessions.

Anyone who has never been to one of the OpenWorlds should really go at
some point if they can manage to avoid paying for it themselves.
Pretty expensive though if you are carrying the charge personally.