From: Koning Betweter on
On 2010-08-12 16:02:42 +0200, Jim Yanik said:

>> I hope to find a place somewhere once, without neighbours and
>> surrounded with a lot of nature.
>> Connecting to the grid will be very expensive. I am finding ways to do
>> without the grid.
>> There are a lot ways to reduce the use of electricity.
>
> that's one way;lower your lifestyle,live as people did in the 19th century.
> Or,you could go modern,build nuclear plants and have safe,clean,reliable
> plentiful electric power 24/7/365 for decades before refueling,and have a
> better lifestyle.
> Lifestyle is tied to cheap,plentiful energy.

I think it is easy to reduce electricity.

1. You can use a wind-up radio for hearing the news.
2. you can make any cream by hand instead of a machine.
3. you can warm your room by burning wood or gas, instead of electricity.
4. you may use Led-lights, a laptop (not a desktop)
5. make coffee on a fire!!!
6. Don't warm other rooms as the one where you are most of the time,
You might use better blankets, so you don't need to warm the bedroom.

If you use the same fire for warming your house, as making
coffee/tea/chocolate and cooking meals,
You reduce a lot of energy too.

And yes, I know it is partially using other energy, not always reducing energy.
If I burn my garbage, it will warm my room for a little bit.

I absolutely think I'm not primitive, I'm just efficient and have fun
with saving energy and money.
It's also better for our environment.

--
Ik praat liever tegen een domoor, dan tegen dovemansoren.

From: Koning Betweter on
On 2010-08-12 16:22:49 +0200, John Larkin said:

> We were, in the big picture, seriously running out of CO2. Too much
> has been sequestered over the last few billion years. It's our job, as
> useful organisms, to dig some up and make it available to the
> biosphere.
Very interesting thought.
But I guess that is just the reason we are here.
With higher concentration CO2, we (and many other species) didn't got here.

> BP did its small share to help. What's cool is that the Gulf is full
> of bacteria that love hydrocarbons and gobble them up. I bet they have
> a whopping shrimp and fish season next year.

Let's give them a reward! ;-D

If you were a shrimp, would you have the same thoughts?

--
Ik praat liever tegen een domoor, dan tegen dovemansoren.

From: keithw86 on
On Aug 12, 9:02 am, Jim Yanik <jya...(a)abuse.gov> wrote:
> Koning Betweter <Kon...(a)Stumper.nl> wrote innews:2010081203281869917-Koning(a)Stumpernl:

> >> Really disconnnecting yourself from the grid implies having some
> >> other method of providing power when your solar panels won't. Energy
> >> storage is a problem. Batteries are expensive, and have a short life.
> >> And even if you've installed batteries to handle the nightly loss of
> >> solar power, you still need something else to cope with cloudy days.
> >> Your ultimate backstop is presumably a fossil fueled generator, even
> >> if you hope not to use it much.
>
> >> All of this costs money. Getting a really independent system down
> >> anywhere near the cost of grid power is a tall order.
>
> >> I suppose some people might be happy to use power when it's
> >> available, and do without when it's not, but few would willing to
> >> live that way.

> >> Money invested has a cost. At its simplest the cost is the interest
> >> forgone - instead of buying the gear to produce your energy, you
> >> could have put the money in the bank, earned interest on it, and used
> >> the interest to buy energ from the grid instead.
>
> >> Even if you do decide to buy the plant, it won't last forever
> >> (batteries particularly), so you need to allow for future
> >> replacement. It's not a one-off investment.
>
> >> Sylvia.
>
> > I can't deny, using energy cost money.
> > Batteries are painfull for the wallet.
> > A pure sine-wave converter is also expensive.
>
> > I hope to find a place somewhere once, without neighbours and
> > surrounded with a lot of nature.
> > Connecting to the grid will be very expensive. I am finding ways to do
> > without the grid.
> > There are a lot ways to reduce the use of electricity.
>
> that's one way;lower your lifestyle,live as people did in the 19th century.
> Or,you could go modern,build nuclear plants and have safe,clean,reliable
> plentiful electric power 24/7/365 for decades before refueling,and have a
> better lifestyle.

If it's a 19th century lifestyle that's wanted, remember the air and
water pollution that goes along with it.

> Lifestyle is tied to cheap,plentiful energy.

So is a clean environment.
From: John Larkin on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:32:26 +0200, Koning Betweter
<Koning(a)Stumper.nl> wrote:

>On 2010-08-12 16:22:49 +0200, John Larkin said:
>
>> We were, in the big picture, seriously running out of CO2. Too much
>> has been sequestered over the last few billion years. It's our job, as
>> useful organisms, to dig some up and make it available to the
>> biosphere.
>Very interesting thought.
>But I guess that is just the reason we are here.
>With higher concentration CO2, we (and many other species) didn't got here.
>
>> BP did its small share to help. What's cool is that the Gulf is full
>> of bacteria that love hydrocarbons and gobble them up. I bet they have
>> a whopping shrimp and fish season next year.
>
>Let's give them a reward! ;-D

Yup. Pull into a BP station whenever you can.

>If you were a shrimp, would you have the same thoughts?

Don't shrimp eat bacteria, or whatever intermediates eat bacteria?

I grew up in southern Louisiana. Critters down there will eat
anything, usually with Tabasco.

John

From: Michael A. Terrell on

Koning Betweter wrote:

> On 2010-08-12 16:22:49 +0200, John Larkin said:
>
> > We were, in the big picture, seriously running out of CO2. Too much
> > has been sequestered over the last few billion years. It's our job, as
> > useful organisms, to dig some up and make it available to the
> > biosphere.
> Very interesting thought.
> But I guess that is just the reason we are here.
> With higher concentration CO2, we (and many other species) didn't got here.
>
> > BP did its small share to help. What's cool is that the Gulf is full
> > of bacteria that love hydrocarbons and gobble them up. I bet they have
> > a whopping shrimp and fish season next year.
>
> Let's give them a reward! ;-D
>
> If you were a shrimp, would you have the same thoughts?

You tell us.