From: nospam on
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bruere(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I think that within a couple of decades most houses will have their own
>PV and battery set, and use the grid for (expensive) backup.

Show me a battery with a replacement cost which is less than the cost of
the equivalent grid electricity it can discharge in its lifetime.

Of course if grid electricity prices rocket (due to technically illiterate
eco wankers and politicians refusing to build viable large scale generating
capacity) anything can happen.
From: dagmargoodboat on
On Aug 8, 12:45 pm, nospam <nos...(a)please.invalid> wrote:
> Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <dirk.bru...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I think that within a couple of decades most houses will have their own
> >PV and battery set, and use the grid for (expensive) backup.
>
> Show me a battery with a replacement cost which is less than the cost of
> the equivalent grid electricity it can discharge in its lifetime.
>
> Of course if grid electricity prices rocket (due to technically illiterate
> eco wankers and politicians refusing to build viable large scale generating
> capacity) anything can happen.

The easiest way to make any one technology competitive is by
kneecapping the others.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur
From: Tom Del Rosso on

John Larkin wrote:
> On 07 Aug 2010 21:35:07 GMT, John Doe <jdoe(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > The French have more courage than we do. Ack!
>
> How humiliating.

They do not have more courage. They're just less democratic.

They might be more Democratic in fact, but they're less democratic.

zero, and remove the last word.

From: dagmargoodboat on
On Aug 8, 3:56 am, Paul Keinanen <keina...(a)sci.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 19:18:50 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodb...(a)yahoo.com
> wrote:
>

> >Sun has a bit more zip than that.  About 1kW/m^2, peak, and about
> >5kWHr/m^2 in a day in most of the US.  Unless you meant electrical
> >output--that should be about 0.13 * 5kWHr/m^2 = 650WHr a day /m^2.  So
> >that's what, six or seven cents' worth of juice?  Yum.
>
> That assumes no clouds, with clouds it is even less.

I think that's an annual US-ish average, but here's the definitive
source:
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/redbook/atlas/

--
Cheers,
James Arthur
From: krw on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 14:22:59 +0100, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Is the electricity taxed?