From: Paul Keinanen on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 19:21:19 -0700, CIC <cicel(a)iinet.com> wrote:

>I don't believe there
>will be any distance transmission of energy, the way we do it today.

If you intend to use unpredictable sources, such as wind energy, you
definitely are going to need a much larger and stronger transmission
network to even out the local production variations.

For wind energy, be prepared to transfer energy at distances that are
similar to the size of a large high or low pressure area. The wind is
blowing around the center of the high or low pressure area, but there
is no wind in the center.

From: CIC on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:39:04 +0300, Paul Keinanen <keinanen(a)sci.fi>
wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 19:21:19 -0700, CIC <cicel(a)iinet.com> wrote:
>
>>I don't believe there
>>will be any distance transmission of energy, the way we do it today.
>
>If you intend to use unpredictable sources, such as wind energy, you
>definitely are going to need a much larger and stronger transmission
>network to even out the local production variations.
>
>For wind energy, be prepared to transfer energy at distances that are
>similar to the size of a large high or low pressure area. The wind is
>blowing around the center of the high or low pressure area, but there
>is no wind in the center.

That is why they are placed in areas where there is a predictable wind
pattern, which it happens to be near a large city, most of the time.

But my remark was placed a bit further in the future, something more
advanced, I am doing research on right now... cannot elaborate...
From: Paul Keinanen on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 23:06:11 -0700, CIC <cicel(a)iinet.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:39:04 +0300, Paul Keinanen <keinanen(a)sci.fi>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 19:21:19 -0700, CIC <cicel(a)iinet.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't believe there
>>>will be any distance transmission of energy, the way we do it today.
>>
>>If you intend to use unpredictable sources, such as wind energy, you
>>definitely are going to need a much larger and stronger transmission
>>network to even out the local production variations.
>>
>>For wind energy, be prepared to transfer energy at distances that are
>>similar to the size of a large high or low pressure area. The wind is
>>blowing around the center of the high or low pressure area, but there
>>is no wind in the center.
>
>That is why they are placed in areas where there is a predictable wind
>pattern, which it happens to be near a large city, most of the time.

Perhaps on the trade wind coasts you might a capacity factor CF up to
50 %, in other areas 20-40 %.

A 3 MW nominal power turbine with CF=33 % would produce only 24 MWh
each day on average.

From: CIC on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:43:09 +0300, Paul Keinanen <keinanen(a)sci.fi>
wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 23:06:11 -0700, CIC <cicel(a)iinet.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:39:04 +0300, Paul Keinanen <keinanen(a)sci.fi>
>>wrote:

>>>If you intend to use unpredictable sources, such as wind energy, you
>>>definitely are going to need a much larger and stronger transmission
>>>network to even out the local production variations.
>>>
>>>For wind energy, be prepared to transfer energy at distances that are
>>>similar to the size of a large high or low pressure area. The wind is
>>>blowing around the center of the high or low pressure area, but there
>>>is no wind in the center.
>>
>>That is why they are placed in areas where there is a predictable wind
>>pattern, which it happens to be near a large city, most of the time.
>
>Perhaps on the trade wind coasts you might a capacity factor CF up to
>50 %, in other areas 20-40 %.
>
>A 3 MW nominal power turbine with CF=33 % would produce only 24 MWh
>each day on average.

Right. The coastal areas are the best, but there are some very good
inland wind corridors were have been placed.

http://www.nrel.gov/wind/systemsintegration/images/home_usmap.jpg

http://www.energy.ca.gov/wind/overview.html

From: Don Klipstein on
In <8b65b930-c14c-4fb0-844f-b2a5bb0f1019(a)l14g2000yql.googlegroups.com>,
miso(a)sushi.com wrote:
>On Aug 9, 7:04�pm, d...(a)manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
>> In <d4a8f600-f532-4b35-84b1-5be2cb148...(a)l6g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> m...(a)sushi.com wrote:
>> >The waste issue hasn't been solved.
>>
>> � The barriers are political.
>>
>> � For example, there are plenty of salt domes that have contained
>> petroleum for a couple hundred million years. �Vitrified waste would stay
>> there quite well. �Then there are depleted uranium mines, which held
>> uranium ore for a couple hundred million years or so. �Vitrified waste
>> with a few feet of concrete around it would do fine there. �A doable
>> amount of concrete will absorb enough radiation to make "high level"
>> radioactive waste safe to store there.
>>
>> � However, there is NIMBY. �States don't want other states' trash, even if
>> they can be paid well to take it.
>>
>> � And there was the artificial barrier enacted in the early 1980's,
>> requiring muclear waste to be monitored and retrievable. �That rules out
>> dumping it in salt domes or exterrestrially.
>>
>> > �Reprocessing is very very messy, well unless you like vats of acid.
>>
>> � Why am I not hearing complaints about manufacture of vehicle batteries?
>>
>> >I used to be pro nuclear until I read Helen Caldecot's "Nuclear Power
>> >Is Not The Answer." No rants in the book, just facts laid out in a
>> >linear fashion.
>>
>> �- Don Klipstein (d...(a)misty.com)
>
>Have you read the book? If not, I wouldn't comment on it's contents.

I did not comment on content of a book that I did not read. At least,
unless the book is no news to me, in which case I don't need to bother
for reading it.

I commented only on common "anti-nuke" arguments that I have heard
plenty of, without reading the above book that you suggested I not comment
on in the case that I did not read it.

And, how could I comment on a specific book's contents unless I read
them or had someone read them to me? Or am I experiencing someone
summarizing such or part thereof into "common anti-nuke arguments", and
"asking me if I am still beating my wife" by advising me as done above to
not comment on contents of a book that I have not read?

- Don Klipstein (don(a)misty.com)